Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah yes. The tailgater. He who hath much skill at riding the ass...

So I'm coming out of Manhattan one day last week, and I have the great (mis)fortune of ending up being a minivan who had the bright idea of maintaining 45MPH in a 50MPH zone, in the passing zone. Parallel to a car moving at the same speed in the slow lane. From Dyckman Avenue to the Moshulu Pkwy. Anyone who knows the area knows that's torture. At first, I figured that he'd eventually pass and move over. Nope, not happenin. <_< So then I close to a car length, hoping he'd get the hint. Brake check. :angry: So I hang back at 3 lengths and wait it out, because it's obvious at this point that he's an idiot. Finally, the guy in the right exits, and after a few other cars pass, I make my move and go around (again, on the right, because he hasn't quite fully grapsed the concept of passing lane/ travel lane). So I speed up to 65/70, and... what? What's this? The 45MPH Mazda MPV is riding my ass with his brights on? Are you serious? :unsure: damn near 7 miles of this jackass doing 45 and holding up most of NYC, and now he's trying to rub paint of my bumper? Ok *******. :angry:
Punch it up to 80 now, and he's still there. Now, I can't really figure why he's donig this... I was at 3 lengths the whole slow ass drive, which at 45MPH is like an eternity away, and now he's 4 feet off my ass. So I'm like, whatever, I keep it moving.

So now my exit is coming up. Although at many points I had the urge to brake check him, I had to think of the other cars on the road (two of which he almost wiped out when I changed lanes, because of the invisible tow rope under my bumper <_<). So I had a much, much better plan. Heh heh. :ph34r:
So I jump into the lane for my exit, and in true ******* form, so does he. The exit in question is a 20MPH loop, with signs clearly posted indicating what it is. To anyone who's front bumper isn't adhered to the white SHO lettering on my rear bumper, this is a pretty good indication to slow down a little bit. Now, in dry conditions, the SHO can bang it out at 45+, without breaking a sweat. My personal best was enter at 55, exit at 50. B) I think you can all see where this is going... ;)
...but I'll tell you the rest anyway. :D

I made it a point to take a quick look in the rearview before entering the turn to see the look on his face. It was something like this...
:angryfire:
Again, I don't know why it was, but that's what it looked like. So I take the turn, and let out a nice loud "weeeeeeeeee!" and I rounded the apex. :thumb: Most of the way through the turn I look up in the mirror again to see his front wheels FULL LOCK to the right, rear inside wheel at least a foot off the ground and rising, front corner what looked to be grazing the rail, and the driver turning the steering wheel for dear life. Not a good look for an early '90s MPV. :blink: So I stop at the light, cuz it's red, and there's a couple of cars ahead of me. Car in neutral, ebrake set, maglite in hand, I'm now ready for a confrontation with this *******. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw when I looked up in the rearview to see his next move...

He stops a half a length back. And he has this look on his face. It was a combination of:
This :eek:, and
This http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/150465/original/1092.gif' alt='' width='23' height='46' class='attach' />[/url]

I don't think I ever laughed so hard at anyone in my life! :roflmao: Light turned green, I pulled off, he stayed there. I honestly think he dropped a deuce in his pants, because he just sat there until the next red light.

So remember everyone; if you're gonna tailgate someone, try to read the signs if ya can, it could save you a pair or boxers or panties. :lol:

Ok I'm done now.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
roflmao niiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeee, I bet his steering rack enjoyed it too.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
that is the greatest thing i have read in a long time

·
Registered
292 Posts
one of the beautiful things about a waggin is the rear washer squirter that can be adjusted a number of different ways...its such a basic yet very effective way of keeping people off of your caboose, however also can be modified a bit with food coloring in the tank..or veggie oil being a great alternative...
ever tried to get veggie oil off your windshield with your wipers at 50MPH? :p

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That was a good one.

I got a good one too, that happened about a month ago.

I'm on the Thruway going to Syracuse (work) and it's about 6:30am. And I'm crusing along at like 75-80 in the left lane and I'm coming up on a tractor tralier with a truck (99ish Silverado, short bed w/ step side) behind it. So as I'm getting closer I'm cautious to woundering if the truck will pull in the left lane to pass the 18 wheeler. So I let of the gas a little and notice he dosen't pull into my lane to pass, UNTIL I'm right there and he cuts me off really good. So I'm a little pissed. BUt as we go on he never pulls back into the right lane so I can go about on my way to work at 75-80ish but he stays at 70ish and I passed up 2 attempts to go around him in the right lane, cause i thought he would pull over. So on my third attempt, I was a little more pissed off by now I go aropund him and he starts giving it some gas. So I floor it and get next to him and give him some dirty looks than I'm in front of him, so for some "stupid" reason I decide it's my trun to cut him off REALLY good. I know this isn't the best idea but, it's what was done. So I throw the car in front of him, missing him by an inch or less, I'm guessing. He slams on the brakes and is probably as pissed as I am now, even though I'm actually happier at this point :) . SO now I'm on my way to work but, it's not over yet.

After a mile or so he decides to ride my ass for awhile. Than he starts flashing his high beams at me but I ignore it. Than even after a couple more miles of him riding my ass I decide to try and lose him. Traffic was kinda thick so I was doing some weaving and bobbing and he stayed with me pretty much. Than he gets drastic and trys pulling up next to me so I give the gas and leave him. Than he trys again but their are cars in front of me now so he pulls next to me and I see what a red neck this guy is (Sorry to anyone I may have offened with the red neck remark) and he pulls out his wallet like a cop or something and he shows me his card that says "Support the state troppers 2004" and I'm like WTF is that and just kept driving on. And he does it again with that stupid card. This time he roles down his window, so I do the same and he says "I got your plate number" blah blah blah. That was all I heard. Cause by now the cars in front of me have moved over and I took off on him but he pulls right behinde me and starts riding the ass again. This time flashing his high beams again for about 5 miles. And I'm thinking everyone on this road has got to be woundering WTF is going on. Than he turns on his turn signal like he wants me to pull over on the side of the highway so we can "talk". But like I said I was on my way to work and this guy looked pretty red neckish who probably sleeps with a shot gun. SO I passed up on pulling over.
Now my exit is finally coming up and I assume this guy is going to follow me where ever I go. So I decied to try and trick him into thinking I'm not taking the exit. I stay in the left lane and I notice my friend getting off the exit to, going to the same place I work. I tried to work him into helping out with getting off the exit really fast but, he was just getting on the exit. So I'm still in the left lane doing about 80 and the exit lane is almost over so I throw the car over as quick as I could and I cross over the right lane and than I'm on the exit lane and I take a quick look back and see him still in the fast lane and I think everthing is good until, I take a second look back.
This crazy guy goes into the grass, missing the exit lane than jumps onto the exit lane and runs over one of the reflector poles on the side of the road and starts fish tailing it on the exit ramp and finally getts the truck straight and he's after me again. I notice he has an EZpass on the windshiled and I don't. SO I'm thinking I'm screwed. He's gonna take the EZpass lane and than cut me off in my lane while I pay the toll. But as where flying around the bend doing about 60-70 I notice 3 lane are open and 2 are full with at least 5 cars in each lane one of these lanes being the EZpass so I knew he wasn't taking the short cut. The 3rd lane was wide open, nobody in it. BUt mt friend who was getting off at the same time, who also saw him fish taling in the exit lane, was headed for the open lane. And I'm already doing 60 about a few hundred feet from the toll boths with this maniac right behinde me. I decide to cut my friend off before he gets to the toll both. He knows how I am with my driving and I know he sees me coming and that it's me right behind him. So he would know that I'm coming to cut him off. That way I would get away from this guy. BUt he cuts my frined off too. I don't know how he squeezed in their but he did. And as I'm giving this kid at the toll both my money I'm telling him what a freak this guy is behind me but, I notice he wasn't looking at me while I was talking to him but, he was looking behind me. SO I look back and see the guy getting out of his truck and start heading for me. By now the kid has my 2 quarters and I floor it. Did a small burn out and it was LOUD in that toll both. That was the last I have seen that guy and also I DON"T take the thruway anymore to work but have found a shorter way to work and I don't have to pay tolls anymore either. Let's just hope I don't ware out my welcome their also.

Damn, that's the most I've typed in a while. And it's pretty cold in my house so my fingers might have hit a few wrong keys, so forgive the errors in spelling.

Later

Dylan

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
It drives me up a wall when someone is sitting in the left lane doing less then the speed limit. I understand not everyone wants to be Mario Andretti when driving, but at least do the speed limit, or get out of the way.

The other thing I hate is getting on and off of the highway. There are merge lanes for a reason people. Don't slow to 15MPH on the highway then dive onto the exit ramp at the last possible second, get in the merge lane so others can get by you with there rotors in one piece. And when getting on the highway, don't stop at the end of the ramp. MOVE. There are few cars that can go from 0-70 in the amount of time you have getting on a highway. If you are going to stop, don't get on the highway until 2 am, so I am not behind you...

I don't think I am asking too much...

/rant

(And I don't think I have road rage...)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to have a car with a standard tranny in it and if someone was tailing me i would just drop a gear and not use brake lights, talk about suprising some people.

G

·
Originally posted by sdavis1465@Oct 11 2004, 11:00 AM
I used to have a car with a standard tranny in it and if someone was tailing me i would just drop a gear and not use brake lights, talk about suprising some people.
Yeah, that's always fun, it's not quite as dramatic, but I'll drop it into drive instead of overdrive, same basic effect, just not quite as fast. :D

G

·
Nice one Jamal! One of the main reasons I got the SHO Sway Bars on the Car/Eibach Springs/KYB Struts/225/55HR16s + Duratec = Quick Getaway! LOL

Sal

·
Registered
959 Posts
There are some idiots out there... I got a punk story too... I was driving with my roomie in the car, and a brand-new little RSX-S pulls up beside me at a red light, with a 18 or 19 year old driving, and starts giving hints that he wants a go... I figure 'What the hell! He's mine'... I've seen the way the little twerps drive...

Well, I've been a hockey goalie for 20-odd years, so I have some pretty good reflexes and hand-limb co-ordination, so I got a huge whole-shot, while he squawked the tires... and I didn't even hit it hard, because I knew I didn't have to... the guy wouldn't be a god enough driver to catch up...

Well, a couple blocks up, the outside lane becomes a part-time parking lane, and there was cars there, so I dropped on the binders to let him scoot ahead... so the prick cuts me off by inches, and slams on his brakes and the next intersection, forcing me to do a brake check... and hops out hollering.

Turns out he was a 5'6", 140lbs white-boy, wanna-be 'thug', with his vaguely brown buddy in the car with him... I slapped the car in park, and started pulling a 4 foot cane I had in the car from when I blew out my knee (I never took it out, for just these occasions). He's screaming and whining that I was trying to make him rear-end the cars in the parking lane... and his buddy is trying to act tough... neither one was more than 150lbs.

I'm 6', 180lbs, bald, and work heavy labour for a living. My roomie is 5'9", 210lbs, and is scared of NOTHING. I think the punk noticed that I was pulling something, cuz he suddenly turned around and ran to his car. So, when I had the chance, I pulled to the outside lane and got up beside, and my roomie started grinning and waving all nice like... the look on both of the other guys faces' was priceless... too bad I hadn't had a camera... the driver had veins popping out on his forehead, and his buddy started flipping us off... and then I dropped the hammer, and left him behind like he was driving mom's K-Car.

I love screwing with those kind of idiots. :D

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Hamals reaction is the same thing id do except if u guys ever seen the Rundown? Hey fix your tailight and then the rock takes a 2x4 and mutiple times hits the porche with it. Hilarious id probably take taht mag light and take out a headlight. But then agian i think about how much trouble you could get in for that kind of crap.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Originally posted by 95FORDT@Oct 11 2004, 04:52 PM
Hamals reaction is the same thing id do except if u guys ever seen the Rundown? Hey fix your tailight and then the rock takes a 2x4 and mutiple times hits the porche with it. Hilarious id probably take taht mag light and take out a headlight. But then agian i think about how much trouble you could get in for that kind of crap.
Correction: Walking Tall (wrong Rock movie)

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Oct 11 2004, 05:00 PM
:lol2: ....oh the stories i could tell. but they would just make me too upset!

3 biggest pet peeves... Tailgaters, people who drive in the left hand lane and won't get over, and people who don't use turnsignals.
...and the question is: What are three things that can cause road rage?

My Philosophy regarding these kind of idiots is to safely get around them or let them go. With tailgaters, I wait until I have an opening, then make the longest smoothest lane change you ever saw. I figure if 80 isn't fast enough they can wait for me to get out of their way. BTW If I spot them in time, they WILL pass me on the left......

·
Registered
959 Posts
Or there's my solution... I was in Calgary with a friend, to go see his girlfriend, and we wer driving on Deerfoot Trail... it's a 8 lane divided freeway, with a speedlimit of 90km/h.. and there was 4 cars straight across, all doing 60km/h.

And they weren't part of any funeral procession.

Now, on the Deerfoot, the general rule is the outside lane is for doing about the speedlimit. The next lane in, 10km/h or so over. The 3rd lane is for those who like to live a little, at about 20km/h over... and the inside lane is for as fast as you want to go.

And there's a HUGE shoulder to the left of the inside lane. Any guesses as to what I did? That's right kids... I punched it, pulled onto the inside shoulder, my buddy started clawing my dash, nd when I pulled up beside the little twerp in the inside lane, I slowed to wave, then punched it and tok off like a raped ape.

Needless to say, I'm happy there weren't any cops around, or I was VERY done for... hehe.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Oct 11 2004, 05:12 AM
Indeed.
*nods* B)

G

·
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Oct 11 2004, 05:00 PM
3 biggest pet peeves... Tailgaters, people who drive in the left hand lane and won't get over, and people who don't use turnsignals.
Amen!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts