Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
So was I this morning, PDF exploit.

Hopefully my machine isn't too hosed; I'll know more when I get home tonight.

This is the first time my computer has been compromised in a long, long time.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 14 2010, 02:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=779261

This is the first time my computer has been compromised in a long, long time.[/b]
Had a PDF problem a while back. Search redirects, etc.
Rebuilt the machine.

The in-laws PC is so bad, it has keyloggers on it. The better half's email was compromised by it.----I don't care enough to fix it.

I was on Bryan's machine earlier messing around while playing with his modem.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I haven't had a virus or anything since Windows 98. :D

Never used anti-virus software, either.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jan 14 2010, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=779267

This is the first time my computer has been compromised in a long, long time.[/b]
Rebuilt the machine.

The in-laws PC is so bad, it has keyloggers on it. The better half's email was compromised by it.----I don't care enough to fix it.

[/b][/quote]
Mine was related to the latest PDF.EXPLOIT that's affecting Adobe reader.

In short, a malicious PDF can execute whatever code it wants on any system with Adobe's PDF reader browser plug-in and javascript. In my case, I got hit with a trojan that after disabling all of my AntiVirus and AntiMalware software and services, installed a SMTP server, a proxy server, and a data aggregator.

The SMTP servers purpose was obvious (and was blocked by a firewall rule FTW), however the proxy server/ aggregator combo was a real treat. I'm also lucky that I only use MSIE for playing web radio.

The trojan, after disabling AVG and Spybot and another AntiMalware solution that I run, proceeded to install the proxy server. Then it told MSIE to direct all web browsing through the new local proxy server, where the aggregator sat and fished through all the data passing through the proxy looking for passwords, financial data, etc.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen the AVG, WAUCLT, and TeaTimer icons all vanish from the system tray, I would have never known it was there.

Adobe says that they have a fix, I'm applying it now.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 14 2010, 08:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=779316
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jan 14 2010, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=779267

Rebuilt the machine.

[/b][/quote]
Mine was related to the latest PDF.EXPLOIT that's affecting Adobe reader.

In short, a malicious PDF can execute whatever code it wants on any system with Adobe's PDF reader browser plug-in and javascript. In my case, I got hit with a trojan that after disabling all of my AntiVirus and AntiMalware software and services, installed a SMTP server, a proxy server, and a data aggregator.

The SMTP servers purpose was obvious (and was blocked by a firewall rule FTW), however the proxy server/ aggregator combo was a real treat. I'm also lucky that I only use MSIE for playing web radio.

The trojan, after disabling AVG and Spybot and another AntiMalware solution that I run, proceeded to install the proxy server. Then it told MSIE to direct all web browsing through the new local proxy server, where the aggregator sat and fished through all the data passing through the proxy looking for passwords, financial data, etc.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen the AVG, WAUCLT, and TeaTimer icons all vanish from the system tray, I would have never known it was there.

Adobe says that they have a fix, I'm applying it now.
[/b][/quote]
Right click C:\, Format :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts