Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

We are officially NOT having a ROTB for 2009. With the release of the new SHO we want to make this the year of the SHO. This is a major event in the Taurus community and we should all celebrate it. As such, we want to encourage everyone to attend the National SHO Convention hosted by the SHO Club. Don Mallinson, President of the SHO Club has extended an invitation to the convention for all TCCA members. Ford will be at the event to SHOw off the new car - it will be a very special and unique event! B)

HOWEVER - I do still want to put together a large National Meet for TCCA this year that will be more of a social thing but possibly link it to a track event as well. It would be more convention-style where we get some kind of facility reserved for our event and talk about the "State of the Club" and the direction everyone would like to see for it in the future. We've never done anything like this and we're at a turning point in many ways so I'd like to have some open discussions with as many members as possible.

Comments, thoughts, questions are welcome...

Thanks!
-Jason

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
This makes sense. The SHO Club was definitely trying to do something real big this year because of the Gen6 SHO. With Ford showing their new car off there, it really doesn't make any sense for us to try and compete with that (we all are Taurus owners when you boil it down...).

That being said, this "State of the Club" address sounds very interesting and promising making the assumption that it remains civil and orderly...

I'm assuming that it probably will be located somewhere in the Northeast, and while I understand this completely as we have a greater density of members in the area, it will leave out a lot of other members across the country from experiencing this event.

Something that just popped in my mind as I read your announcement: if we do have this SOTC address, what are the possibilities for hosting it live via the internet? Essentially have a live video stream on the website itself (or somewhere else) of the conference that others could log into and watch if they can't make the event? The reasoning for this instead of just video taping it and making a transcript/video available afterwards would be that if we do a live feed, we could also take at the event Skype/AIM Video calls in from members to express a point and/or ask a question. Furthermore, the IRC chat could be utilized for people without webcams to ask questions/express comments on the current topics being discussed.

Just an idea....with a regular ROTB, it makes no sense as the main event is the track and the cars, not the club. But with this switch in direction for one year, maybe this technological aspect could benefit in terms of getting all the people from the club involved (the ones that care anyway) instead of just the ones who can make it.

Granted, location wise, you'd want to pursue a conference room with high end projector/high speed internet connection for it. I envision it as more of a setup that you'd see at a Comedy Roast instead of a presentation: round dinner tables instead of stadium seating.

Speaking of location, if we continue to pursue a "normal" ROTB for 2010, or even for this conference if you want, might I suggest a city for hosting such as Memphis or Nashville, TN? From rough calculations, it's a more "central" location for all our members from the Northeast, Midwest, South, and Southwest (granted the Western part of the club would still have a drive)

Dunno....

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate you thinking of and setting this up Jason :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Kal - that was a great post and I appreciate the feedback.

Part of what I would like to do with this event is to put a face to many of the names we see on the board regularly and recognize those who have contributed to TCCA over the years. It is impressive how long we've been around as an organization. There have been some interesting twists and turns along the way but ultimately our mission and philosophy has not changed. It is the friendly atmosphere and how we all care about and respect each other that sets this club apart from the rest.

The State of the Club address that I would like to make will include discussions on the following items (and more):

• Set the direction of the club for at least the next 5 years
  • Recognize the history and those who have kept this place going
  • Encourage and develop local and chapter meets - put more power and strength into our chapters
  • Plan for increasing membership
  • Determine how to embrace the owners of the next generation of these cars
  • Continue to cater to our current demographic but also attract the attention of, and draw owners of the new cars
  • Ensure we remain functionally and financially viable
  • Gather ideas and formulate a plan to regularly stock promotional items
  • Standardize sources for apparel and other logoed merchandise
  • Form sub-committees to help spread the management responsibilities of the club to volunteers that are willing to make a long-term commitment
  • Plan events other than the track portion of ROTB for 2010 and beyond
  • ... much more!
These are just a few of the items that I believe need to be addressed in an open forum (and I don't mean the web forum). This will also be a test of how many members we have that are truly dedicated, those that are will show up.

This event will be fun but a large portion of it will be business.

Let's keep the great feedback and ideas flowing... B)

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
This is why I am trying to put together a large meet in June. Idk if you'd like hop on the train.....I'm already in the planning stages. But yes i think this is a great idea :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
QUOTE (SilverThunder @ Mar 3 2009, 07:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705122
This is why I am trying to put together a large meet in June. Idk if you'd like hop on the train.....I'm already in the planning stages. But yes i think this is a great idea :thumb:[/b]
I think it is a great idea. I couldn't think of a better way to discuss the TCCA, than in person, with fellow members. You can discuss things better, as well as get to know the person behind the idea, rather than just reading what somebody has put up. I don't think there should be a live feed; Jason has a great idea to encourage people to come out and get to know others... If we give that ability to stay home and watch, it could end up being the same crowd that actually shows up, while others stay home. I'll probably just talk about going myself, but I like how Jason's idea sounds.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
QUOTE (Zeptoplix @ Mar 3 2009, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705127
QUOTE (SilverThunder @ Mar 3 2009, 07:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705122
This is why I am trying to put together a large meet in June. Idk if you'd like hop on the train.....I'm already in the planning stages. But yes i think this is a great idea :thumb:[/b]
I think it is a great idea. I couldn't think of a better way to discuss the TCCA, than in person, with fellow members. You can discuss things better, as well as get to know the person behind the idea, rather than just reading what somebody has put up. I don't think there should be a live feed; Jason has a great idea to encourage people to come out and get to know others... If we give that ability to stay home and watch, it could end up being the same crowd that actually shows up, while others stay home. I'll probably just talk about going myself, but I like how Jason's idea sounds.
[/b][/quote]

The only reason I'm suggesting a live feed is because say, for instance, it is held in New York City. It's going to be harder for someone living in LA to make the trip than it is for a person living in Washington DC. What you'll end up having is a mis-represented portion of members from around the country.

:dunno:

I understand completely that if we wanted to reach all members, this sort of discussion would be fine over the forum and we wouldn't need some big conference to discuss our club. However, I feel we would be neglecting long-time members who have valuable input that cannot make it to this meeting for whatever reason.

Perhaps instead of a live feed type deal, members who can't make it could posts questions or send questions to someone that could be looked over and discussed at the conference with a transcript of the event posted later? That way, we could still involve everyone and still make it clear that the sent over the internet questions might not make it to the event that day and ultimately to be the most involved showing up would be optimal.

I just think that if we are trying to look forward and involve as many members as possible, we can't rely on the same tactics for meetings as in the past because as you just stated Ben, "the same crowd [will] show up..." Holding the meeting in the same location with no interaction with people who can't make it will result in the same crowd, the same people, with the same ideas for progression as in the past.

I mean no disrespect to the people who do make these events, nor do I mean any disrespect towards your points and opinions Ben or Jason and everyone else who has setup meetings so far: all involved have put in many many hours and days worth of their time into setting up previous events and they have turned out great so far. It's just a thought that I have to utilize the technology we have to bring together more people without having the burdens of finances and travel interfere.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I really like the internet feed idea because I'd really REALLY love to become more involved with meets and whatnot, but at this point in my life, I just don't have the resources to drive somewhere and book a hotel. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation either.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
I know what you mean; I didn't mean for it to exclude anybody, but that would probably end up happening. The whole idea is a great one, I guess its just fine tuning it to get the right formula to get people out.

As far as linking it to a track event, that may spur some interest to get people out, but should we check to see who is interested in a meet with out one?

Without the confusion of organizing the track aspect, it could be a very simple, headache free formula... Instead of count on X+Y+Track+this and that, could just come up with a simple number say $200 for the hotel and dinner or so on.

Also, another thing to consider, we always have the same 20 people attend meets. I think it would cut down on the confusion and what not, if we budgeted for say 20-25 people, at X rate. IF more people show up, obviously the price would go down, but I think it would be worth it to issue a refund after the fact rather than try and reach milestones in attendance numbers. I am not sure if that made any sense... rather than having people sitting on the fence waiting for the price to go down with X amount of confirmed/payed attendees.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The focus of this club has never been geared toward the SHO, so why all of a sudden is it turning that way? The sho is no more than another trim level, the same way it ALWAYS has been. Hell half the sho owners don't even consider the thing a Taurus. What, now all of a sudden for 2010 there will be no Taurus, only the sho? We're the ONLY club in existence that caters to this car for the "entry" level driver, the sixteen yo kid that just got his first car, or just got grandma's old car, that just happened to be what most people consider some raggedy ol POS Ford, a Taurus. It wasn't the sho that saved Ford's ass back in 1986, it was the base model Taurus, and if things go well for Ford it'll be the same way this time around, it won't be the.... in many members' opinion, the OVERPRICED sho, it'll be the base model, called TAURUS.

As for the rotb, many of the ideas being spawned here in this thread, have been presented before, and were also previously rejected. Ask me how that makes any sense. I've got a damn good set of events for a ROTB that could have "gone down" this year. There is no track event, that's not to say you won't have a good amount of driving once you're there. But you know what, I got tired of all the excuses. You want to be in a car club, but yet most of the complaints are that it's too far or your car isn't up to it. How can that be?? In 2005 I put roughly 2700 miles on my 1993 GL that at the time had close to 132,000 miles on it. It's an old car, had an old worn engine/trans, but yet, if I would have thought about the mileage in a little different fashion, then seriously, it wouldn't have been reliabe enough to drive to work for two weeks. That's what you guys who use that excuse are really saying. That you can't count on your most likely much NEWER car to do the SAME thing my wore out ass old bomb DID. Someone talked about dedication, WTF?? So, because someone can't afford it, or the car won't make it... they can't attend a meet, they aren't dedicated?? Who's fuzzy-logic is that ****????

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
+1 for what Rudy said, besides the SHO being overpriced, its actually a decent price, but this isnt the place to discuss it =X

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
While I largely agree with what you say Rude .... the National SHO Convention has NEVER EVER been exclusive to SHO owners. Taurus G, GL, SE, SES, SEL, etc have always been invited.

Also history shows the convention always has a great turnout. RoTB while a great idea, is always canceled due to lack of participation. Why? because of the "We're the ONLY club in existence that caters to this car for the "entry" level driver, the sixteen yo kid that just got his first car, or just got grandma's old car, that just happened to be what most people coinsider some raggedy ol POS Ford, a Taurus"

These 16-20 year olds really most time can't afford to make these trips. With the exception of some of the long timers here, the clubs average age is 17-25. They therefore are largely focused more so on school than on Car Club events. And I nor anyone else, can fault them for that. When I was 19, if it was go to the track and run my Taurus around it with a bunch of Taurus guys or buy books for my classes, I am buying books.

See where I am going?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I don't believe that the reason ROTB has not been as big a success as the SHO convention is because of this... "We're the ONLY club in existence that caters to this car for the "entry" level driver, the sixteen yo kid that just got his first car, or just got grandma's old car, that just happened to be what most people coinsider some raggedy ol POS Ford, a Taurus". I think it's because it's always the same venue, which has for the most part, been Gingerman Raceway. The convention as well as several other VERY successfull car club annual meets that I know of are ALWAYS somewhere different. I simply don't think it's because we drive Tauruses. The age demographic and the first priority being school, yes, I will agree 100%.

So if there was no track event, which would save attendees anywhere from $200-$300 dollars, do you think attendance would come up, possibly? I'm going to be a little selfish here with my comment. I was completely bummed with the lack of an 07 ROTB. You remember the one that was supposed to be in Atlanta, the one where we were supposed to tour the Ford plant, somewhere that I PERSONALLY have NEVER been. And yes, quite honestly since then, the "club" aspect of this site has never really been the same for me. I imagine that I'm not the only one that was totally bummed about that trip not happening either. I don't think we should have to rely on "the regular Taurus crowd has always been invited" another club to be able to have an event. We're a large enough organization where we should be able to put together something different, whether it be every year or every other year, which in my opinion, would make it something just that much more special. When I've planned the small meets here at my place it wasn't for me to have a good time, it was for the guys and gals coming to have a good time. It's when years later that people are still talking about the gig, that you know it was a bad ass time. Ask about the scooter races.

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ Mar 4 2009, 06:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705506
I don't believe that the reason ROTB has not been as big a success as the SHO convention is because of this... "We're the ONLY club in existence that caters to this car for the "entry" level driver, the sixteen yo kid that just got his first car, or just got grandma's old car, that just happened to be what most people coinsider some raggedy ol POS Ford, a Taurus". I think it's because it's always the same venue, which has for the most part, been Gingerman Raceway. The convention as well as several other VERY successfull car club annual meets that I know of are ALWAYS somewhere different. I simply don't think it's because we drive Tauruses. The age demographic and the first priority being school, yes, I will agree 100%.

So if there was no track event, which would save attendees anywhere from $200-$300 dollars, do you think attendance would come up, possibly? I'm going to be a little selfish here with my comment. I was completely bummed with the lack of an 07 ROTB. You remember the one that was supposed to be in Atlanta, the one where we were supposed to tour the Ford plant, somewhere that I PERSONALLY have NEVER been. And yes, quite honestly since then, the "club" aspect of this site has never really been the same for me. I imagine that I'm not the only one that was totally bummed about that trip not happening either. I don't think we should have to rely on "the regular Taurus crowd has always been invited" another club to be able to have an event. We're a large enough organization where we should be able to put together something different, whether it be every year or every other year, which in my opinion, would make it something just that much more special. When I've planned the small meets here at my place it wasn't for me to have a good time, it was for the guys and gals coming to have a good time. It's when years later that people are still talking about the gig, that you know it was a bad ass time. Ask about the scooter races.[/b]
If you throw something together in Texas Rudy and I have the money I will gladly drive down there for it.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Agree Rude, I am not saying it is due to the car, but the age of the majority here.

There has been talks of moving RoTB around, but nothing ever materializes so Gingerman is a fall back t seems.

I think Mike is on the right page with the MASSive Meet. Something like that could easily grow and host a RoTB.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Honestly this is why I'm putting together this meet. (see northeast section) I was a little disappointed after driving out to Michigan last summer, granted I had a good time, but I think it could have been better, especially those of us who had traveled quite a ways. After offering my help in anyway I was never taken up on my offer to help plan, so I'm making my own. While the MASSive meet will not have a road course, it is something where people can finally put faces to cars and user names. And who doesn't want to drive go-karts?? I have spring break in two weeks, and while I'm not working I'm going to be putting my butt into gear getting prices, a registration form, and final itinerary.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of the input provided in this thread is valuable and appreciated.

Many of you have questions and comments as to why/how/where ROTBs have been planned.

First of all, ROTB has traditionally been about having a track event. I've organized many track days for our club including ROTBs and non-ROTB events. It has been discovered that the demographic of our club will not support a track day that costs more than Gingerman. They are among the most economical in the country and attempts at organizing events at other locations have failed. Additionally, we are heavily dependent on outside clubs and individuals to support our track days. This is something that many of you may not realize. If it weren't for the non-TCCA attendees, all of our previous track days would have been failures.

This being said, I have to be very careful how and where these events are planned and even more careful about costs. My proposed idea of a National SOTC (State of the Club) event will be a relatively low-cost venue and will be specifically designed to address these issues.

In the interest of a long-term commitment and ongoing sustainable national event a ROTB will be foregone this year in lieu of of the SHO Convention. The SHO being re-introduced is a major ordeal and should be celebrated throughout the Taurus community. We are "paying our respects" to this by foregoing ROTB.

Aside from giving the new SHO the attention it deserves, it is nearly ludicrous for us to expect that there will be enough interest and support for a ROTB this year given the abysmal economic situation our country is in. Such events are solely funded by discretionary income and that is an area where spending has been severely cut this year. I must remind everyone that our last track event was subsidized by residual funds from the club.

It makes more sense for us to reinvest in our club and spend time diligently planning for the future. This is more cost effective for all involved and will ensure long-term viability for our organization. A national SOTC and planning meeting is not something that has been done before. Given the current economic situation, status and changes of the Taurus product-line and many other changes going on right now we must evaluate our position and direction.

I hope this is something everybody can understand and appreciate. It is in our best long-term interests to take diligent actions now to plan for a better future.

Regarding the issues of webcasting and communicating with members that would not be present at the conference/SOTC meeting: a conference call is something we should be able to easily and cost-effectively organize in addition to a web-based chat/transcript. Video conferencing is not something I expect to be do-able for this event. But we will plan on having some method of communication with those that can't be physically present.

I hope this answers most of your questions for now. Please continue the discussion and ideas for this, they are much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Unfortunately if it isn't within 2 hours of me I won't be able to attend. I am a full time student and work 17 hours a week at my minimum wage job. I don't have the time or money to go on an out-of-state trip.

Plus a couple weeks ago, Dad said I'm not allowed to drive my car long distances (2+ hours) because he doesn't think it's "reliable enough"... and I doubt he'd let me take mom's car for an entire weekend.

But I think that all the ideas so far have been good ones, including the one where we bring the price down if there are X amount of members. IMHO, ROTB last year wasn't all that amazing. I'm sure it would have been better if I went to Gingerman, but the NAIAS trip was way more fun.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If I can chime in with something here, just as someone who has been kicking around these parts for a while...

I personally have never had any interest in track events. Am I interested in high performance driving and doing laps? Hell yeah. But these cars could not be any worse for that purpose. Even with the Duratec and a slightly upgraded suspension, my car is slow and handles like a boat. Not to mention how likely you are to break something if you drive hard. I can't be the only one here who feels my car just isn't cut out for that.

What has always brought me out to meets is the meet itself. I want to meet all of the people here that I've been talking to over the past few years, see what they've done with their cars and show them what I've done with mine. It's about representin'. Every day people make fun of our cars and think we're crazy for liking them so much. But when I'm doing 80 down the interstate in a convoy of well maintained and modified Tauruses, well... everything is right with my little world. :)

This meet sounds like an excellent idea. I think that a lot of members here are more interested in the social aspect than the track, and this would keep the costs low and encourage more people to make the journey. People tend to like "official" stuff, so if we have a space rented out for the event, it seems more "official" and gives them a greater sense of pride in the club.

Now finally, I'd like to say something about the new Taurus, which I had the privilege of sitting in at the 2009 NAIAS. It's a fantastic car, but let's be honest here... the only thing this car shares with ours is a couple of badges (and maybe a paint colour for the SHO guys). I think it's a good idea to welcome these new owners, but much like the '01 and '02 Altima, I see no continuity here. It's so much bigger and more upscale than our cars, and the price certainly reflects that. Compared to other large sedans in its price range (Acura TL, Audi A4, etc) the '10 SHO seems like a performance bargain with the quality and fit and finish to compete with the better of the imports. Someone like me is more likely to find their way into a Fusion than the new Taurus. It's Ford's new bread and butter vehicle for the average Joe. It's more "Taurus" than the Taurus. :lol: But I don't think we need to attract membership from this market to survive. The Tauruses we drive are everywhere and they're going to be on the road for a long time.

I feel like I need a conclusion here because I've been writing papers non-stop for the past couple months, hence me not being here to often, so here goes. Long live TCCA!

And a quick note about the 'reliability' thing because I hear that so often. I don't get it. The last repair I have done on my car was over two years and 30,000 miles ago. All I do is change the oil! :p

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ Mar 5 2009, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705872
QUOTE (Twilight @ Mar 5 2009, 06:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705842
I personally have never had any interest in track events. Am I interested in high performance driving and doing laps? Hell yeah. But these cars could not be any worse for that purpose.[/b]

You could not be more wrong.
[/b][/quote]

SHO maybe. But a Vulcan/'tec Taurus.....I agree that these cars aren't designed for being on the track and will not compete with other cars designed for said track.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts