Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the other thread is archived, I thought I would start a new detailing questions thread for new questions

·
Registered
131 Posts
My leather is very dirty in my 95 SHO I use it everyday I'm a mechanic and I hate seat covers so what do I do? My front pass and rear seat are fine but the driver seat is bad.

P.S. Mocha all leather

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SHOoff@Dec 9 2003, 12:59 AM
My leather is very dirty in my 95 SHO I use it everyday I'm a mechanic and I hate seat covers so what do I do? My front pass and rear seat are fine but the driver seat is bad.

P.S. Mocha all leather
Take one part woolite and mix with 6 parts water. I use it in a spray bottle, and clean. It should take anything out, and it is very gentle. Be sure to treat it afterwards, as you are only cleaning it. Lexol is some good stuff

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mp97taurus@Dec 8 2003, 10:39 PM
Being a detailer also, I would like to help answer if you don't mind...
Sure
I don't mind

·
Registered
187 Posts
I mentioned spray nine to you in the old thread, n2. Have you happened to come in contact with this since then for any reason? I'm just curious as to how well it would clean leather. I would imagine it would make it look as clean as new, but I don't want to see it dry it out and crack even after applying conditioner. any ideas, n2 or mp97?

BTW, I used it on the dash/door panels/vinyl, and what an amazing job it did! It took up two rolls of paper towel, and turned every sheet black. And what I was cleaning already looked clean! I would recommend this to anyone to clean car interiors, at least once.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Alex_Perry@Dec 9 2003, 11:56 AM
I mentioned spray nine to you in the old thread, n2. Have you happened to come in contact with this since then for any reason? I'm just curious as to how well it would clean leather. I would imagine it would make it look as clean as new, but I don't want to see it dry it out and crack even after applying conditioner. any ideas, n2 or mp97?

BTW, I used it on the dash/door panels/vinyl, and what an amazing job it did! It took up two rolls of paper towel, and turned every sheet black. And what I was cleaning already looked clean! I would recommend this to anyone to clean car interiors, at least once.
Haven't run across anyone who has used it. If it works for you go for it. The only thing I worry about is long term effects.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space+Dec 9 2003, 01:02 PM-->QUOTE (n2_space @ Dec 9 2003, 01:02 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Alex_Perry
@Dec 9 2003, 11:56 AM

Haven't run across anyone who has used it. If it works for you go for it. The only thing I worry about is long term effects. [/b]
I'm going to play it safe and use your woolite idea, just because I don't want to wreck my leather.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Alex_Perry+Dec 9 2003, 12:11 PM-->QUOTE (Alex_Perry @ Dec 9 2003, 12:11 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 01:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Alex_Perry
@Dec 9 2003, 11:56 AM

Haven't run across anyone who has used it. If it works for you go for it. The only thing I worry about is long term effects.
I'm going to play it safe and use your woolite idea, just because I don't want to wreck my leather. [/b]
That's cool
You can always test inconspicous areas first. The only thing is, like I said before, are long term effects.... ya never know...

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Riddle me this...

1) I've been driving around with the Colgan bra on. I have a nice coating of salt spray on EVERYTHING. What should I do? Remove the bra, and clean everything seperately? I was thinking of hosing the bra off with the "fan" setting on a high-pressure gun at the DIY car wash, then taking the bra off the car and washing as normal. What do you think?

2) What is the preferred method for snow removal? I had to gently sweep off 12" of snow this weekend. I didn't want to scratch the paint, so I just knocked off the first 10" or so with my arm, and used my gloves to work the rest off as the car warmed up. I know some brushes will scratch the paint. Any suggestions?

3) My carpets are getting nasty in this weather. I don't necessarily want to clean them spotless, since the weather is still crappy, but I don't want the stains to sit there for much longer. What's a good carpet cleaner that I can just spray on and vacuum out?

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Dec 9 2003, 04:31 PM
Riddle me this...

1) I've been driving around with the Colgan bra on. I have a nice coating of salt spray on EVERYTHING. What should I do? Remove the bra, and clean everything seperately? I was thinking of hosing the bra off with the "fan" setting on a high-pressure gun at the DIY car wash, then taking the bra off the car and washing as normal. What do you think?

2) What is the preferred method for snow removal? I had to gently sweep off 12" of snow this weekend. I didn't want to scratch the paint, so I just knocked off the first 10" or so with my arm, and used my gloves to work the rest off as the car warmed up. I know some brushes will scratch the paint. Any suggestions?

3) My carpets are getting nasty in this weather. I don't necessarily want to clean them spotless, since the weather is still crappy, but I don't want the stains to sit there for much longer. What's a good carpet cleaner that I can just spray on and vacuum out?
1) Bras can scratch, period. Being dirty makes it like sandpaper on your car. I would CAREFULLY remove and clean the car and bra individually.

2) I only sweep off down to a couple inches with my hand, never touching the paint. That way I can insure I don't harm the paint. The rest will blow off quickly driving.

3) Tip: Buy some cheapo clear or rubber mats for the winter, that is what I do
To clean them, I again turn to my woolite solution (see above) and scrub if need be, rinse, shop vac, and air dry.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space@Dec 9 2003, 04:43 PM
1)  Bras can scratch, period.  Being dirty makes it like sandpaper on your car.  I would CAREFULLY remove and clean the car and bra individually. 

2)  I only sweep off down to a couple inches with my hand, never touching the paint.  That way I can insure I don't harm the paint.  The rest will blow off quickly driving.
1) Agreed. I am meticulous about making sure the felt backing on the bra is very clean, and the front end of the car is spotless and freshly waxed before I put the bra on. Since I don't have an n2_space on retainer, I use the bra to protect from stone chips, bugs, etc. while covering up the existing damage. It's a lesser of two evils I guess.

2) That's illegal in PA. You must completely clear your car of snow (within reason) before driving on PA roads. There were some fatalities in recent years when large sheets of snow/ice flew off of cars and trucks, hitting the car(s) behind them. In some cases, the driver simply spun out of control when they panicked. In other cases, the windshield was smashed and the driver could not see where they were going. I was hoping there was a certain type of brush I could use to get the snow off without doing TOO much damage.

·
Registered
308 Posts
try a sno broom type brush that the dealers use. I bought one when I ordered for my dealership and it works great and doesn't scratch

·
Registered
78 Posts
what would be the best thing to use to clean wheels

alloy wheels

there's a TON of build up on them, i'm assuming from brake dust, and negelct

i honestly cant say i know how long......i used to clean them very often, i left for school, and now that i'm home again, i realise, the wheels are HORRIBLE

not particularly the whole wheel, but the crevices....lots of build up

i've used wheel cleaner and a wheel brush, and even a tooth brush, but the build up is staying on there....

anything else i can try?
any thoughts????

thanks

puv

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Originally posted by mp97taurus@Dec 9 2003, 06:53 PM
try a sno broom type brush that the dealers use. I bought one when I ordered for my dealership and it works great and doesn't scratch
Is this the same one?

http://www.hvaa.com/snow_broom.htm

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Dec 9 2003, 04:55 PM-->QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Dec 9 2003, 04:55 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-n2_space
@Dec 9 2003, 04:43 PM
1)  Bras can scratch, period.  Being dirty makes it like sandpaper on your car.  I would CAREFULLY remove and clean the car and bra individually. 

2)  I only sweep off down to a couple inches with my hand, never touching the paint.  That way I can insure I don't harm the paint.  The rest will blow off quickly driving.
1) Agreed. I am meticulous about making sure the felt backing on the bra is very clean, and the front end of the car is spotless and freshly waxed before I put the bra on. Since I don't have an n2_space on retainer, I use the bra to protect from stone chips, bugs, etc. while covering up the existing damage. It's a lesser of two evils I guess.

2) That's illegal in PA. You must completely clear your car of snow (within reason) before driving on PA roads. There were some fatalities in recent years when large sheets of snow/ice flew off of cars and trucks, hitting the car(s) behind them. In some cases, the driver simply spun out of control when they panicked. In other cases, the windshield was smashed and the driver could not see where they were going. I was hoping there was a certain type of brush I could use to get the snow off without doing TOO much damage. [/b]
Hm....

Here are what some other detail guys do: They buy a normal little snow broom, but wrap a Microfiber towel around it. It won't scratch that way

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Xee+Dec 9 2003, 08:29 PM-->QUOTE (Xee @ Dec 9 2003, 08:29 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-mp97taurus
@Dec 9 2003, 06:53 PM
Is this the same one?

http://www.hvaa.com/snow_broom.htm [/b]
Be careful! Others I have talked to have found it has marred the paint
Personally, I wouldn't use it.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by PuvMan@Dec 9 2003, 08:19 PM
what would be the best thing to use to clean wheels

alloy wheels

there's a TON of build up on them, i'm assuming from brake dust, and negelct

i honestly cant say i know how long......i used to clean them very often, i left for school, and now that i'm home again, i realise, the wheels are HORRIBLE

not particularly the whole wheel, but the crevices....lots of build up

i've used wheel cleaner and a wheel brush, and even a tooth brush, but the build up is staying on there....

anything else i can try?
any thoughts????

thanks

puv
Try some Eagle one A2Z wheel cleaner. If that doesn't work, let me know and we'll go from there

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have used the brushed without a problem.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.