Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever thought about putting your car on air bags? Obviously this set up wouldnt be used for a track car or anything like that.

What are your opinions on an air bag suspension. Pease try to keep this as civil as possible. I am only considering doing this as i plan to have close to 500lbs in the car over the rear tires.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Since there are a lot of similarities in the front suspension between taurus/continentals, I'm wondering if (with some clever fabrication) the air ride system from the contis can be swapped over. Would certainly make for a gucci ride.

I saw a G4 taurus taxi on the freeway on my way home from work yesterday. It had driver/passenger in the front and only one passenger in the rear... and there was a solid 20 degree rake from back to front. It looked like the rear bumper was about to start carving an asphalt rooster tail.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theres a company here were im stationed and they do custome airbag suspensions. Seriously considering getting it done. I go to alot of car shows so slamming a Taurus to the ground would def be unique. Its not alot of peopls "cup of tea" but to have the adjustability of air suspension would be awesome.

I am removing the back seats and building a custom box for 4 subs, 2-3 batteries and some amps. so with all that and the weight of the wood, without some type of suspension upgrade ill be bringing a new meaning to "saggy ass syndrome" :p

·
Registered
374 Posts
Since there are a lot of similarities in the front suspension between taurus/continentals, I'm wondering if (with some clever fabrication) the air ride system from the contis can be swapped over. Would certainly make for a gucci ride.

I saw a G4 taurus taxi on the freeway on my way home from work yesterday. It had driver/passenger in the front and only one passenger in the rear... and there was a solid 20 degree rake from back to front. It looked like the rear bumper was about to start carving an asphalt rooster tail.
The subframes are pretty much identical (As proven by the 4.6 swap before), the front struts (Passive or SARC) will swap in. Dimension wise and mounting wise I cannot tell much difference between the Taurus strut and Continental strut.

However the rear.. the Continental does not have struts on the rear, they have shocks and the air bags are separate, in fact the entire rear suspension assembly looks like a modified Taurus Wagon setup.

If you have a wagon it would make the swap a lot easier.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The subframes are pretty much identical (As proven by the 4.6 swap before), the front struts (Passive or SARC) will swap in. Dimension wise and mounting wise I cannot tell much difference between the Taurus strut and Continental strut.

However the rear.. the Continental does not have struts on the rear, they have shocks and the air bags are separate, in fact the entire rear suspension assembly looks like a modified Taurus Wagon setup.

If you have a wagon it would make the swap a lot easier.
I wonder if there's a way to replace the coil spring on a macpherson with an air bag a-la coilover. We could call it bag-over. Would ease installation.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wonder if there's a way to replace the coil spring on a macpherson with an air bag a-la coilover. We could call it bag-over. Would ease installation.
Such a beast exists, but I've never found one from a reputable-enough company to really consider it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the company im looking at does air struts. a complete strut looking part but has a bag in the middle. would slide right into the front and rear mounts but would need alittle fabrication as the top of the strut is just like a shock mount. They are highly recommended jut trying to see if theyd drop there price alittle as i would be there first american car that they would be doing.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
personally i dont like the ride comfort of bagged cars. i would put in heavy duty coil overs. i have seen a bagged taurus in michigan at a show before. how it was done i do not know.. but i agree with getting the lincon set up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
personally i dont like the ride comfort of bagged cars. i would put in heavy duty coil overs. i have seen a bagged taurus in michigan at a show before. how it was done i do not know.. but i agree with getting the lincon set up.

When the front spring is compressed fully and the weight of the car is on the spring the spring is only roughly 6" tall. So i fabed up a spring (heavy duty from a completely different car) and got everything to seat correctly and my car only dropped like 1/4". So that went out the window. So in order to get the drop i want i am gunna have to do airbags.

Ride comfort is completely up to the driver. I personaly dont think it will be to bad. Most of it is just a straight drop in parts.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Since there are a lot of similarities in the front suspension between taurus/continentals, I'm wondering if (with some clever fabrication) the air ride system from the contis can be swapped over.
I would rather go the other way and install steel springs in a Continental.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts