Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd mention that Summit Racing now offers OEM-style performance coils for Gen1-2 Taurus/Sable with distibutor ignition. It is comparable to the Accel Super Coil. AFAIK it is Summit p/n SUM-853011 (currently $32.95.) I didn't know they were available last spring when I bought the Accel counterpart. I just happened across a picture in the new Summit catalog, and thought, "Gee that looks familiar..."

·
Registered
486 Posts
I just happened across a picture in the new Summit catalog, and thought, "Gee that looks familiar..."
:lol: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what improvement does changing the distributor system do for a car anyway?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Gives you a hotter spark. Not worth much IMHO, but it makes a great affordable replacement for a bad coil.

It would be worthwhile on a boosted car (cough cough, DMX), sometimes high boost, and or high rpms, can "blow out" a spark and cause misfires. That's why the SHO's and Thunderbird SC's came with the DIS ignition, which puts out more voltage than even the aftermarket TFI coils do.

You might see a slight improvemnt in gas mileage on a near stock or stock engine, but don't exepct to see any noticable performance gains.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:withstupid:

Although, he did ask,
Forgive my ignorance, but what improvement does changing the distributor system do for a car anyway?
And the answer is... that's not what this mod is for. You will still be keeping the distributor system, you will just have higher voltage for the spark. You won't necessarily see any gains, but for <$35, it's nice to know you have the strongest spark possible, especially if you are doing other mods. It would be a good idea to get an Accel hi-perf cap and rotor, and some decent plug wires while you're at it. All those things combined should make for a strong, solid ignition system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.