Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Nope, it's correct. These cars were one of the first american vehicles that I can think of that got plastic end links, dating all the way back to the third gens.

With that said, you'd be surprised about how capable they are. I've only seen one broken one in all my years of playing with these cars. Usually they go over 100K before the end joints wear out and exhibit too much play.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Nope, it's correct. These cars were one of the first american vehicles that I can think of that got plastic end links, dating all the way back to the third gens.

With that said, you'd be surprised about how capable they are. I've only seen one broken one in all my years of playing with these cars. Usually they go over 100K before the end joints wear out and exhibit too much play.
The material of the link does not matter if it is strong enough. It is all in the ball/socket in the ends. My Lincolns OE were all plastic.
And see att. What is on the end boot matters, and in this case, the boot is held on with a rubber band rather than a steel spring wire. Flexibility of the boot matters too. This one ~1 year old.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
I believe the plastic contributes to a quieter ride. As long as it is designed properly the plastic will work great. I think most metal links use a plastic inserts except for the really expensive ones.
I prefer the one like the pic, where they have a hex for holding the shaft for install or removal. For those with only the hex on the end of the shaft, I have had to use abrasive cutter and cut them off. Every one I have removed have had the ball rust. Thus boot fail source of fail.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
I prefer the one like the pic, where they have a hex for holding the shaft for install or removal. For those with only the hex on the end of the shaft, I have had to use abrasive cutter and cut them off. Every one I have removed have had the ball rust. Thus boot fail source of fail.
-chart-
I bought TRW plastic links at Advanced Auto and they used rubber bands/O rings to hold the boot on instead of a steel ring. O ring would dry rot in six months. I replaced four of them on one Taurus for that reason which were free because of lifetime warranty. After the second set they would not give me another set and gave me credit to the Moog ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts