Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 6-disc changer from afi292 out of his 2003 ses i will be installing it in a 2000 sel

and just have one question about the the wiring. it is going it my center councel so i dont have to run any thing to my trunk.. but is it pre wired to the concel... i know that ppl had to put got buy adapters and wire harnesse to install them in there trunk but what about in the arm rest..

do all i have to do is take a part the arm rest and the plug will be right there or do i have to go get a wire harness?

thanx in advance

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Chances are that there will not be a harness in the console. You will probably have to buy one and run it from the RCU in the trunk to the center console. I recently pulled my OEM cd player out of my center console, and that is how the factory set everything up.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Aug 26 2004, 10:25 AM
what is the rcu?
RCU = rear control unit. It's where the factory amp and tuner are located. The head unit up front is just a control unit, all the major functions come from the RCU. It's located on the back side of the rear driver side wheel well. Pull up the trunk liner and you will see it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok

now is does that have a plug the will go into the disk changer that i can leave in the trunk?

sorry if this sound really like am repeating myself and i know it would probable make more sense if i went and looked at it ... but i am at work but i think ill go look at on my lunch

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
There should be a connector on the RCU that you can connect one end of the cd changer harness, the other end should connect to the changer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but there is no harness though i have to find one or is there?

i guess that is the real question

sorry about this

i have put in after market cd players in other cars so i know a littel bit about how some stuff works but never a disc changer or modded the a factory system... and i just dont know what is provided for me

thanx again

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Aug 26 2004, 10:23 AM
Chances are that there will not be a harness in the console.
I don't think there will be a harness in place. You will probably have to purchase one to hook up the cd changer. Make sure you get one that has enough length to put the changer wherever you wish to have it.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
that i'm not sure about, try fordpartsnetwork.com or net, I can't remember the site specifically. Also, check partsyards if there are any around you. I'd pull mine out and sell it to you, but i've already had my interior out and back in once this month and trust me, thats no easy task.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go to cdchangers.com thats where I got mine from and took me maybe 5min. to hook everything up. I did my own in the trunk. If you want to route it to the armrest you have to find a way to route the wire without it showing from the trunk to the armrest. If you need anymore info. from me you can e-mail it of yahoo me. I will be in a meeting at 2 and it will last until 3:30.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
To run it through to the center console, you'll need to either run it up and under the dash, or you'll need to remove the interior near the driver's seat. Run it under the carpet and up into the center console.

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
my facotry center console dd changer wehnt todwn the drivers side trim, and under the driver seat into the center console. i would provide pics but i didnt take enough when nall my interior was out. sorry if this doesnt make sensem i am durnk.

parker.

also, you can mount it wherever you want, the trunk and center console are afoactory locations, center console i think is goood because you dont have to get outa of car to chagne a cd.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx you guys now all i have to do is get the wire harness...

just for kicks i called the dealer to see if i could get one ... he was pretty lost lol he wanted to sell me the wire harness for the hole car

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
For your car, It's:

F8FF14588CA

Good luck with the install. B)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts