Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped out my instrument cluster on my 2014 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor to an 2014 Ford Taurus SHO cluster, the SHO cluster has 200 miles more on the odometer then my original cluster, I tried using the X-Tool to correct my odometer reading but it don’t show 2014, it’s starts at 2015 and also shows 2009 to 2012, I tried them all and none worked, anyone know how I can roll back the odometer besides the dealer?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can't. At least, that's the case on a Ranger. Rangers from 2004 up have the cluster mated to the computer, to prevent unscrupulous sellers from doing what you are (with honest intentions) trying to do.

The cluster no longer keeps track of odometer readings, it just displays them. The computer now keeps track of odometer readings. When you change the cluster, you also need the computer that came from the car you took the new cluster from.

Just a note, changing the odometer READING is ILLEGAL.

The way I see it, you have two choices. You can either accept that your odometer is 200 miles out (minimal!), or you can go back to the car you grabbed the cluster from, and grab it's computer. No, don't grab the other car's computer. See my other post.

Edited to correct misinformation. See my below post for further information

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I understand but it's weird bc the vehicle list it's shows Taurus years 2004, 2008-2009, then it jumps to 2015 (Large color screen) and 2015 (Dual color) skips 2010 to 2014.
Would a dealer be able to go into the computer with FORScan and change it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
It appears I misspoke. Read this: Odometer Replacement Laws: What You Need To Know

A quick summary:
  • It is legal to replace your odometer.
  • It is ILLEGAL to change the mileage registered by the odometer.

HOWEVER:
  • if you replace your odometer, it MUST read the CORRECT mileage.
  • Your car's ECU records the mileage, and the odometer gets it from there.

So, if your odometer isn't correct (are you SURE the new one is wrong?), You have here a can of worms. You can't legally change the mileage registered by your odometer, but you have to make sure it's correct.

Go visit your dealer. I wouldn't recommend anybody here answer your question. Even if I knew the answer, I wouldn't give it to you, because I don't want TCCA to be seen to be promoting illegal activity (for that matter, I don't want to be involved in illegal activity).

·
Administrator
15,338 Posts
Go visit your dealer. I wouldn't recommend anybody here answer your question. Even if I knew the answer, I wouldn't give it to you, because I don't want TCCA to be seen to be promoting illegal activity
Not to worry. You can rest assured due to the subject matter this thread had my attention and if an instructional 'how to' was posted here it would have been deleted in fairly short order.

...(for that matter, I don't want to be involved in illegal activity).
I like to humor myself into thinking if I proposed something that was right up to the edge you'd at least hear me out. After all, we're old...not dead.

·
Registered
23,637 Posts
^+1. The middle son's '99 tec with 389k mi. had a malfunctioning tach and another fault or 2. I grabbed a 43k mi. replacement cluster from the jy and swapped. Odometer reading made no difference because we drive 'em 'til they die/salvaged. Plus, the low mi. cluster had better odds of being fully functional which it was.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
^^^ Same here. I dont sell cars to private parties,trade them in, etc. I drive them until it is time for them to go to the JY.

When I got the 95 Vulcan back in 2010 it had the base cluster with no tach. Picked up a cluster with a tach that had lower miles than the original cluster. I reset the odometer on the "new" cluster with tach (which is super easy to do) to the actual higher miles on the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not to worry. You can rest assured due to the subject matter this thread had my attention and if an instructional 'how to' was posted here it would have been deleted in fairly short order.
That's good to know.

I like to humor myself into thinking if I proposed something that was right up to the edge you'd at least hear me out. After all, we're old...not dead.
Well, I wouldn't report you to the forum admin, anyway (wait.... report the forum admin to the forum admin? Wouldn't that be kinda pointless?)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep.
I'd be lying if I said that wasn't my first thought when this thread went up. What's 200 miles between friends? Or even frenemies for that matter. Heck, up in the Sask that's the average round trip for grocery shopping.
That's not entirely true. Most of our population lives within about 20 miles of a grocery store. In fact, most of our population lives in cities or towns with a population of over 10,000 people.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
That's not entirely true. Most of our population lives within about 20 miles of a grocery store. In fact, most of our population lives in cities or towns with a population of over 10,000 people.
Guess I am the average breaker. Pic. Average day in the life of me and my wagon. We live on acre of land, own well and septic. 0.7 miles to interstate interchange, one mile to grocery, 2 restaurants, credit union and bank, gas station, couple tenths more and, town hall, community center, post office, medical plazza, drug store. Walmart ~6 miles, Sams half that and second grocery. Four way stop is the big traffic. And then this, fire house 1.1 mile and such saved out house and most of our contents in '18.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Guess I am the average breaker. Pic. Average day in the life of me and my wagon. We live on acre of land, own well and septic. 0.7 miles to interstate interchange, one mile to grocery, 2 restaurants, credit union and bank, gas station, couple tenths more and, town hall, community center, post office, medical plazza, drug store. Walmart ~6 miles, Sams half that and second grocery. Four way stop is the big traffic. And then this, fire house 1.1 mile and such saved out house and most of our contents in '18.
-chart-
I didn't know we (Canada) had annexed New York.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
382 Posts
You can't. At least, that's the case on a Ranger. Rangers from 2004 up have the cluster mated to the computer, to prevent unscrupulous sellers from doing what you are (with honest intentions) trying to do.

The cluster no longer keeps track of odometer readings, it just displays them. The computer now keeps track of odometer readings. When you change the cluster, you also need the computer that came from the car you took the new cluster from.

Just a note, changing the odometer READING is ILLEGAL.

The way I see it, you have two choices. You can either accept that your odometer is 200 miles out (minimal!), or you can go back to the car you grabbed the cluster from, and grab it's computer. No, don't grab the other car's computer. See my other post.

Edited to correct misinformation. See my below post for further information
If the meter showed the mileage from the computer, it would be correctly displayed.

OP - It's 200 miles. If you sell the car it might be a difference of $0.10. Don't worry about 200 miles. That's a busy day going to the airport, shopping, and back home.

Reactions: snosaint
1 - 19 of 19 Posts