Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
04' Ford Taurus a.k.a. The wHip
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the screen in the cluster is out in my 04' Taurus, I can see it very dimly lit up in the dark and i was curious if anyone else has had this. I'm most likely just going to get a new cluster.

·
Registered
372 Posts
On my 00' Taurus there is an adjustment wheel next to the headlamp switch that controls the panel lighting. Is it also present on the 04' model?

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my 00' Taurus there is an adjustment wheel next to the headlamp switch that controls the panel lighting. Is it also present on the 04' model?
It is, however it barley lights the screen even when its clicked on for the dome light. That's why I'm thinking I just need a new one.

·
Registered
23,545 Posts
Billy, you don't have a few #194 bulbs burnt out do you? Does it get a little brighter as you rotate the dimmer wheel?

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Billy, you don't have a few #194 bulbs burnt out do you? Does it get a little brighter as you rotate the dimmer wheel?
My used '03 bought had 1 working bulb in the instrument, and none in the console. Seems bit high but found bad volt reg and the Alt was overcharging. Replaced the Alt. Bit of a task to remove the cluster. I would be interested in the outcome of this as my recent '05 buy seems rather low light at best.
-chart-

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My used '03 bought had 1 working bulb in the instrument, and none in the console. Seems bit high but found bad volt reg and the Alt was overcharging. Replaced the Alt. Bit of a task to remove the cluster. I would be interested in the outcome of this as my recent '05 buy seems rather low light at best.
-chart-
I recently had to replace my alt as well so I'm thinking its just a dying bulb, I do plan to test the bulbs that are in there so ill keep this thread updated about it

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
I recently had to replace my alt as well so I'm thinking its just a dying bulb, I do plan to test the bulbs that are in there so ill keep this thread updated about it
Bulbs have a life. Very predictable if one knows the hours and volts. Life goes with the power ^-16 of V/V. Short story, add 5% volts over rated and life is half.
If I had any cluster out, new bulbs all. Cheap. Hours of use and brightness setting not very recorded. HOWEVER: several bulbs and when one goes out, more volts for the rest.
-chart-

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bulbs have a life. Very predictable if one knows the hours and volts. Life goes with the power ^-16 of V/V. Short story, add 5% volts over rated and life is half.
If I had any cluster out, new bulbs all. Cheap. Hours of use and brightness setting not very recorded. HOWEVER: several bulbs and when one goes out, more volts for the rest.
-chart-
Huh, I had no idea you could calculate a bulbs life like that, I'm tempted to just replace the one light then i want to do the rest and then I just figure a new cluster might just be best, then i can have the white face plate one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It seems like the screen in the cluster is out in my 04' Taurus, I can see it very dimly lit up in the dark and i was curious if anyone else has had this. I'm most likely just going to get a new clust
It seems like the screen in the cluster is out in my 04' Taurus, I can see it very dimly lit up in the dark and i was curious if anyone else has had this. I'm most likely just going to get a new cluster.
There is a place in Duluth,Ga called mas electronics repair who can fix this for you and yes i have used them before. go to www.masrepair.com and they will fix your cluster for you. also you can call them at 678-228-8422 and let you know if they can fix this problem ,which I know they can.

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a place in Duluth,Ga called mas electronics repair who can fix this for you and yes i have used them before. go to www.masrepair.com and they will fix your cluster for you. also you can call them at 678-228-8422 and let you know if they can fix this problem ,which I know they can.
Thank ya Tido, Ill have to check them out for future reference sadly I'm all the way in Colorado and most likely all the shipping of it probably outprices just getting a new one.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
144 Posts
You can use one out of a Taurus or Sable, even if it has the fog light and auto turn off option (you can put lights in the grill or the bottom corners of the bumper cover(mounting holes are there but you have to cut the openings out for the light and wire it in) the plugs are exact same. Here's the wiring, Good Luck!
Rectangle Font Tints and shades Pattern Parallel

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can use one out of a Taurus or Sable, even if it has the fog light and auto turn off option (you can put lights in the grill or the bottom corners of the bumper cover(mounting holes are there but you have to cut the openings out for the light and wire it in) the plugs are exact same. Here's the wiring, Good Luck! View attachment 218566
I like that idea however I already have excessive light bars to work as my “fogs” and they’ve done very well not to mess up my battery

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
144 Posts
If they are LED lights you should be okay, just make sure you have a higher amp alternator to keep up with the power usage and I would wire some of the other ones in with ignition only (not straight hot or accessory and use just the 'fog lights' at the switch) to make sure you have the power to be enough to run everything. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a common problem on f150s. You can YouTube how to fix with a solder iron. It's very easy once you get the cluster out. Basically there are 8 or so pins and the solder cracks, you just heat them up one at a time to melt the solder to fix the cracks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts