Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about a problem I was having with two bulls. A 94 LX 3.8 Wagon and a 96 GL Vulcan sedan. Both cars have the same problem. When the tranny is warm when you slow down from speed like to make a turn and dont stop the trans will catch neutral for a second. If you come to a total stop it does not do it as bad. No other symptoms. Upshifts nice and tight and no slippage. I have changed the fluid and filter in the 94 and added some lucas trans additive. It dosnt seem to have helped much. The fluid was fairly clean and had no odd odor. There was not much debris in the bottom of the pan either. The 94 has a flaky speed sensor. No cruise and it kicks the code for a faulty speed sensor. Could this have anything to do with my problem. This is a 111000 mile car with a dealer installed crate motor with 9000 miles. I really want to save the car, but I am at my wits end trying to fix this problem. Please help!!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
May be the AXOD-E forward clutch piston problem (see that heading here: http://www.autosafety.org/ford-automatic-4-speed).

Search here in TCCA on forward clutch piston and you'll see many a post.

In my 94, the recommended amount of Lubegard Red make it livable, but that doesn't work for everyone. I think most either had to relinquish their cars or have a piston-ectomy, substituting the later steel piston, a costly procedure, sorry to say.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Mar 14 2009, 08:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708619
May be the AXOD-E forward clutch piston problem (see that heading here: http://www.autosafety.org/ford-automatic-4-speed).

Search here in TCCA on forward clutch piston and you'll see many a post.

In my 94, the recommended amount of Lubegard Red make it livable, but that doesn't work for everyone. I think most either had to relinquish their cars or have a piston-ectomy, substituting the later steel piston, a costly procedure, sorry to say.[/b]
The cracked piston is a problem when you stop and try to start again, not just when you're slowing down. A bad speed sensor could cause problems like this, since the PCM would be getting a bad speed signal, so if you know it's bad, change it and see if that fixes the problem. Also make sure the fluid level is good. If the fluid is low, then when you slow down to turn a corner, the tranny could suck in some air as the fluid sloshes in the pan, and cause it to go into neutral temporarily. There's a service message i've seen about this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The extra quart seems to have helped it. I didnt drive it very far but it did not drop out of gear once. I will know tomorrow when I take it to Clarksburg. It is a 30 mile round trip on curvy mountain roads with plenty of slow downs and such. Thanks for the advice:)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
On the '96+ SHO filter has a neck that is just a bit longer than the regular filter so this does not happen without overfilling. It gets the filter pickup deeper into the pan. I don't know if there are two different filters for the AX4S SLO and SHO though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I took her for a good long drive and now she is much worse. The original problem is there plus it is holding up on up shifts. I think I will try to flush the trans and see what that does. I just really hate to replace the trans over a minor glitch. I have a recently rebuilt trans in a lightly wrecked 1994 GL 3.8 that I can swap over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts