Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the scoop. I got some odd vibrations going on. Seems to focus on the 10-30mph range. Whiel at its worst the sterring wheel will bouce left and right a couple inches. Pretty anoying. This started a while ago after in order to a void a cargo van backing into me i shifted into drive and hit the gas faster then the car shifted gears so it took off kinda rough. Been doing this ever since. If i build up speed and while its doing its thing i shift into neutral it still does it so it isnt a tranny. But what is it, any clues? I feels like a wheel is out of balance but it goes away at higher speeds so it makes no sense.

·
Registered
148 Posts
did you try getting the wheels balanced?

Or is the wheel at idle bouncing around?

I have a problem like you stated and see if it matches mine My problem is the rack the pinion seals are bad on the inside of the rack.

When i go around one of those freeway on ramps like a cloverleaf my steering wheel jerks back and fourth like someone was pulling the wheel on me but a soon as i go straight it goes away. thios is cause the pressure in the rack is slipping by the seals therefore giving the jerk in the wheel..

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds like it could be a number of issues, I'll list them.

-Bad CV joint (replace halfshaft that's bad)

-Flat spots or broken belts in one or more tire (rotate tires front to rear to try and eliminate the problem)

-Bad wheel bearing (any noises? Does the noise get worse when turning?)

-Warped brake rotors (what happens when you hit the brakes?)

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by gtx2000@Mar 4 2004, 12:42 AM
When i go around one of those freeway on ramps like a cloverleaf my steering wheel jerks back and fourth like someone was pulling the wheel on me but a soon as i go straight it goes away. thios is cause the pressure in the rack is slipping by the seals therefore giving the jerk in the wheel..
A PS fluid flush has worked for some people to get rid of this problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Speaking of vibations....I own a 2000 Taurus and I've had a vibration in the wheel for a year now! I can't get rid of it! I went through 3 pair of tires thinking it was that. I kept exchanging them. I then replaced the rotors with no avail! I have no idea what it could be! It just slightly jerks back and forth like a clock. If someone has had this problem in their Gen4 please let me know what this is! Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had a wobble probble too, and I actually took mine into a mechanic for fear that a wheel might be coming off or something. Turns out it's just the belting inside a couple of my tires warping. Basically, the tires are no longer completely round. Fortunately, all I need is some new rubber and an alignment for good measure.

I hope your problem is that easy to fix.

Pax,
Matthew

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
While we're on this subject, I've had a problem myself. Feels like my tires are out of balance. I'm thinking I want to rotate tires to see if it goes away. Hopefully it's not a CV joint or something. I guess I could take it to the dealer and pay the 80 diagnostic fee or whatever. That way if it isn't a problem with the tires, I can have it fixed under warrenty.

-Dan

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it does it regardless of wether I'm turning or not. In fact i realized yesterday when just creeping forward it does it too, just very slowly. I suppose it might be the wheels... but when the wheels were unbalanced it just vibrated and the vibrations increased with speed at 80mph it was sick enough to make you slow down. Now the vibration is constant, i though it went away at high speeds but i don't think so anymore it probably just happens fast enough for me not to notice it as much.

Rotors are fine (front and back) this problem is not when stopping. CV joint... hope not, might get a new taurie if thats the case. No there are no noises... err no new noises (just some suspensions squeaks and stuff). So i doubt it the bearings.

I'll need to rotate the wheels and/or balance them and see what happens and maybe flush the PS system.

ohh Bob how do i detect a bad CV joint?

Thanks guys.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Mar 4 2004, 09:48 AM
While we're on this subject, I've had a problem myself. Feels like my tires are out of balance. I'm thinking I want to rotate tires to see if it goes away. Hopefully it's not a CV joint or something. I guess I could take it to the dealer and pay the 80 diagnostic fee or whatever. That way if it isn't a problem with the tires, I can have it fixed under warrenty.

-Dan
That actually sounds like the best idea Dan. Try rotating the tires first (front to back) though. And don't tell the dealer about the burnout at Norwalk!

qaz, definitely try rotating the tires first to see if it goes away. From the way you describe the low speed problem though, it sounds like a wheel bearing. To inspect a CV joint, put the car up on ramps, and inspect the boots for tears or separation. Separate the bellows a bit and look between them too. Sometimes they dry rot and crack there first. Then, check for looseness. Grab the CV joint at the transmission, and rotate the shaft with your other hand. You should feel no loosness or clicking. You can check the outboard joint the same way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds to me like you might have damaged a CV joint on the hard start. Mabye cracked a cage or split a ball or torque twisted a shaft( although nver heard of this happening). I would put it on jack stands set the brake and block the tires, then have someone sit in the car with one foot on brakepedal and one foot on the gas and put it in gear so you can see whats wobbling when every things turning.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm telling you all IT IS THE RACK i don't mean to use caps but i had the same problem and i had fixed it. If at park turn it to complete left or right and hold it there you will notice that the jerking is there also you will sometimes notice the engine speed doing wacky stuff (AT least on my GEN 1 it did it) BUt i started replacing stuff Power steering hose first then the pump then the steering sensor then the rack THEN WALLA it went away. It is an INTERNAL problem on the rack it is release Pressure threw the seals then the steering wheel will actually get easier to steer then you will inadvertenly steer faster or slower. This will happen even if the car is NOT MOVING.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm convincd it's the rack. I've changed everything else. I'm going to flush the rack first to see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't think it's the rack because it started immediatlly after a hard impact to the drive train as described in the initial post. My '93 Sable has the rack problem, but its not noticable unless the steering wheel is turned and -qaz- says it is directly related to wheel speed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, i felt around the cv joints. Nothing is movable by hand. I'm going to rotate the tires tomorrow back to front see if that takes care of it. The boots on the cv joints are fine. I sure hope its the tires thats easier to fix.

The power steering pump sounds like total crap lately so it might be dieing but i think thats a different issue since it complains only when i turn the wheel all the way. Also there is a noticable vibration with the wheel bounce so i shine away from the pump but still on the list of things to check.

Thanks guys, I'll let youknow what happens with the tire rotation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, after finally getting to work on my car I relized its really hard to move four wheels around. Boy I'm beat, and those rusted lug nuts are a pain! Well it did turn out to be the tires, they were in terrible, terrble shape, some had zero thread at some spots. I noticed the inner side of the tire is worn out a lot more then the outer must need an alignment. After the rotation the whobble in the steering wheel moved ot the back of the car and the rear end was boucing a lot. I got some newer tires at a used tire shop and everything is great again.

Thank you guys for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had similar problems with my 92 GL...at low speeds (between 15 and 35 mph) the wheel vibrated badly, and it got significantly worse over a few weeks time. On my car, it turned out the tie-rod ends were loose and needed to be replaced. Apparently all that shimmying around had also damaged the front subframe assembly (or maybe it was already damaged), and it needed to be rewelded, and the front tires were so badly worn (as a result of the loose tie-rod ends) they needed to be replaced. Front-end alignment done too, naturally.

Just another possibility, in case it wasn't actually the tires, or others have similar symptoms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts