Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Sorry it has been a little while since i have been on here but once again I turn to the taurus gurus hopefully someone will be able to help. I have a 2000 Taurus with the OHV 3.0 L Vulcan engine. Intermittently when I first start the motor when it is cold it will idle rough for the first 30 seconds to a minute and clears up and goes away. The rest of the driveabilty is perfect no stuttering and has good power overall thru all ranges under a load and all. Only seems like when the engine is started cold that the issue happens. Check the plugs and is ok, replaced the wires (which odly have a higher resistance then the ones that came off) to no avail. Usually is more prevalent when is colder outside so I also changed the Coolant Temp Sensor which made no difference. Only next thing I can think of is maybe a failing fuel injector maybe leaking into the engine over time and then needs to burn out or something but I have no idea and getting to the fuel injectors is in kind of a hard spot. When the problem happens sometimes the check engine light will come on and code shows cylinder one misfire. Don't blink like to book says for a misfire but just solid. If i clear the computer it is fine for like 4 to 5 days and then comes back on. Any ideas as to what would be causing it. Previously and might be related I was having problems with fuel pumps failing in about a years time which caused alot of problems but eventually replacing the fuel pressure regulator resolved that problem but now this is happening. Cylinder one is where the fuel comes in so don't think it could be pressure related as cylinder 4 is the furthest from feed if I am not mistaken. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as the last thing I want to do is take appart the top of the engine and not have this fix the problem. Any help would be very very apprciated. i am lost and have been looking into this for almost 3 months now. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well only advice i can give you is turn key on then off.. to pressurize the system pull fuel rail off and put a paper under injector 1 and leave it for a while come back if the paper is wet for stained you could have a injector leaking... try swapping plugs see if the miss moves to a different cylinder. those are a couple of tests you can do.

I ran into the same issue with a chev cavalier and it ended up being a injector leaking down after time.. it took aprox 2-3hrs.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
On the suspected fuel injector leak, you might consider attaching a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail schrader check valve, pressurize the system & check the bleed down time, to see if it's holding pressure as long as it should.

If you don't have a gauge, most autoparts stores have them for a refundable deposit in their "Loan-A-Tool" program.

I like nick s idea to swap the #1 spark plug, to see if the mis fire follows the plug.

On the plug wires, are the new ones OEM????
If not, how much difference in plug wire resistance did you measure????
They should be about 2K ohms per inch of length, 30K ohms max, no matter the length.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did something very similar on my buick, had a misfire so I switched two injectors and the problem remained at the same cylinder. Found out one of the three coils was half bad, meaning #4 would fire but #1 had no spark at all. It had been failing for some time, and when I would give it anything past half gas, it would start to misfire, but otherwise drove great. I even passed emissions like that, and the head gasket was leaking too. (good ol' 3800)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts