Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was looking for a picture for another topic I noticed a connector in this one below. C141 Octane Adjus Plugs. It's in the top left corner of the picture. Anyone have any idea what it's for. I never looked on the car for it. I did try to google it, but never came up with an answer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Oh sh!t VTACK.

Just kidding. That's interesting, though. I dont think I've seen that plug floating around on my car before.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If it was a 95 or earlier, I would say it was the SPOUT plug. Although, if you pull it, I think it still retards the timing. There's 2 on V6 SHOs that you can yank to pass emissions testing.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The spout connector is supposed to be removed when setting base timing, it basically removes any advance or retard controlled by the ECM. That isnt the spount connector.
That engine pic looks like an aluminum earlier intake, but with a coil pack, is this a flex fuel vehicle?
I did some research on the ranger forums, on those trucks, looks like it retards timing 3 degrees when removed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As I was looking for a picture for another topic I noticed a connector in this one below. C141 Octane Adjus Plugs. It's in the top left corner of the picture. Anyone have any idea what it's for. I never looked on the car for it. I did try to google it, but never came up with an answer.
[/b]
It is inside the distributor, illegal to tamper with, why would you anyway?.
Stan

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
No distributor on '96+ cars. And you'd "tamper" with it if your engine wasn't running properly with the timing advance it came with.

The octane adjustment (presumably) changes the timing advance. Distibutor-equipped Tauruses have 3 octane rods that can be changed out (according to Haynes), I'd guess the DIS cars have a similar thing.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
like said on OBDII Fords it pulls timing globally 2-3 degrees.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
like said on OBDII Fords it pulls timing globally 2-3 degrees.
[/b]
Ya - it's basically to help reduce spark knock when running low octane fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts