Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,:banana:

Along with the Princess -- 03 SES 24V -- I own an '08 Honda Accord coupe, and therefore belong to a similar forum (even the same basic layout) that deals with that model as well. In the short time I've been with these groups, I can't help but notice something.

Taurus owners are a helluva lot more chill than their Accord-driving counterparts.

Seriously. I've gotten more helpful info and felt way more welcome here. I did the intro post Over There saying I was new to Hondas and was still figuring things out. Immediately a bunch of members replied that I'd better use the Search function instead of asking a bunch of stupid questions.:punchdoc:

If a thread on that forum has 20 posts, the first one is the question. The second one is someone berating the first. The next 12 are people taking sides. The following five are members reopening old beefs. And the final one might actually be an answer.

As a result, I've posted and lurked on this forum about 5x as often as Over There.

And I'm REALLY glad I didn't get a BMW and join a forum for it.:nuclear:

That's all. Just something that was on my mind. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Cheers,
John

·
Administrator
14,945 Posts
Too bad about the Accord forum. I've participated in more than a few forums and generally found the tenor of many of them that are like that is usually driven in large part by a core group of regulars that the mods let get away with it but who in reality don't know enough themselves to be talking down to anyone. It seldom runs the way you might think it would. For instance the Superbike forum my son participates in is infested with those supercilious vermin but the Gold Wing forum I'm a tech advisor on is a great community, many might suspect the opposite to be the case. In any case glad to hear you are settling in comfortably here, hopefully we continue to justify your good opinion. BTW, those BMW guys have nothing on the richards that used to populate the early SHO forums.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
My opinion and observation. People who are nasty on the internet groups are cowards. I figure if you can't be helpful be silent.
I am on the Buick forum and only do the Lucerne group. Strange mix of old coots like me, and some wanting to do exhaust mods and lowering. I read and found out a bit about my Lucerne for reading and it is quite a bit different from Fords. Mostly good.
This forum is the best around for being civil and helpful. If I can't be helpful, I'll be silent.
-chart-

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This forum is one of the most helpful and civil that I've ever been a part of. The truck forums I've participated in (Dodge and Nissan) are primarily concerned about the how high you can lift your truck and how loud your exhaust is. The Mazda forums tend to be sparsely participated in, or focused on specific models. The Volvo forums have been hit or miss, though SwedeSpeed seems to be one of the better ones.

A lot of forums start as semi-private clubs for a small group of people, and are run like one. I also think the the type of vehicle and the age group it attracts are big factors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's most likely two parts

1) The Taurus/SHO are alpha sedans compared to the Accord, exception being the V6 EX-L Coupe 6MT or 6 Speed Auto which is a coupe which DOESN'T have...

2) CVT.

I'm biased, but I actually shopped two Accords before and while there is no doubt they are reliable and a good buy they are just "missing" something. There is nothing exciting about them.

Base Taurus >> Base Accord

SHO >>> Accord V6 EX-L 6MT/6 Speed

It's just not a contest. Overall, I just think more people are happy as Taurus owners.

Like I said though, I'm bias.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get me wrong, there have indeed been people on the Accord forum who were friendly and helpful, but for every one of those there are another ten whose attitude, and responses, boil down to:

THE HONDA ACCORD IS THE PINNACLE OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING AND INNOVATION! IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO DRIVE ONE AND A GIFT FROM THE HEAVENS TO OWN ONE! YOU SHOULD *** YOUR BRAINS OUT EVERY TIME YOU GET BEHIND THE WHEEL! IF THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR ACCORD IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT BEING RESPECTFUL ENOUGH AND ARE A STUPID GDMFPOS!!!!!

And that's not the vibe I get here. I have, however, found a new Accord forum where the residents seem a bit more, well, relaxed.

I chose both of these cars, not because I believe they're perfect, but because: I could afford them; they look neat; they have the creature comforts I want; they aren't overly large or small; they're plenty quick enough for me and still get good gas mileage; and they're dependable. That's all. No trumpets or fireworks or voices in my head (other than the usual ones).

End of sermon. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The only thing the internet has taught me in its 20+ years of existence is the world is full of too many uptight a**holes who can't write a coherent sentence.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
This is the ONLY “social media” I participate in. No FB, no Twitter, no Snapchat.....none of it. Primarily because of all the drama and other associated Bravo Sierra. But I reached out on this forum because I needed some help. I have had nothing short of a fantastic experience and great support. So while I can’t speak about other forums, I can second the opinion that the members here are very chill and extremely helpful!! For that I thank you!

·
Registered
257 Posts
JRV - I'm with you - no social media for me except Taurus forums. This one is great for information on our Taurii and Sables. I'm an old coot like Chart and don't have time for forum drama. This forum stays with it's goal - sharing information about our vehicles. And it's great when you get to meet members face to face at places like Ford Nationals or local meets.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
The only thing the internet has taught me in its 20+ years of existence is the world is full of too many uptight a**holes who can't write a coherent sentence.
SOOO true :)

Seriously though, this is a great community to be a part of due to its members! There's a wealth of information here it's become a great resource for our cars. I've been on other forums where the mere mention of something small would trigger off WWIII and the administration would just sit back and watch it burn to the ground. We take more pride in keeping it a civil community here. In the past we've been told we were heavy handed, but it was the people causing the problems who said it. Those issues resolved themselves ;)

Honestly, our cars are more along the lines of 'luxury' cars/daily drivers and don't draw the ricer crowd so much as imports do which draws a different type of member. Like with any public forum, you take the good with the bad. Not everyone is going to agree or like each other, but as long as it doesn't go too far, we can be a healthy and most importantly civil community.

Enjoy the ride :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've found this Taurus forum to be the best and most mature group of people to interact with. I've gained a wealth of helpful information and really appreciate the contributions that fellow members have made. I also belong to a Mustang forum where the maturity, mentality and "tribal" behavior of some members has a lot to be desired. While the Mustang forum has been informative, I've found that if you counter some "elite" member's information, you get a barrage of hate from their followers. It seems that these certain "elites" live on and for these particular forums. I actually grew weary of this behavior and seldom participate in their activities. The last time that I was on their forum I saw where the administration had initiated more rules, but I still refrain from participating for the most part.

I happen to own an elderly Taurus that I've maintained since it was new and intend to keep as long as practicable. I much prefer interacting and participating here on this forum. As for my vintage Mustang, I know it inside and out and found that their new rules are restrictive to those who are offering assistance without asking a certain number of questions. I don't know if that's going to stimulate participation or not, but I'll allow them to carry on without me.

To all, have a great day and enjoy your rides as I do.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's probably going to depends on the individual forum you are on, but on the Mustang forums I am on, I've seen nothing but respect and almost a community between the members, especially when new people post. Of course, I can think of a few forums that have the same sort of elitism, as well as some FB forums as well, so I avoid them. For the most part I have a couple I stick with.

This forum also shares the same maturity, even if the traffic is much less. Perhaps it's the demographics of the vehicle owner? who knows.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am a member of a few forums related to my vehicles and TCCA is by far the most welcoming and relaxed. No questions are stupid questions, we are all of different levels of expertise and experience and nobody looks down on anybody.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts