Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Sable Duratec 143k Miles

MIL on for about 6months then for the last week or so flashes. Flashing started when engine began obviously missing badly at idle and through acceleration. Also no power to accelerate.

I have read many of the older posts for this apparent EGR Sensor / DPFE issue and plan to replace the sensor.

My question is whether a bad sensor should/will cause the misfire problems. Do these two codes point elsewhere or in addition to the DPFE?

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
That little sensor will cause all kinds of problems. I had a misfire and random stalling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Apr 22 2009, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719641
That little sensor will cause all kinds of problems. I had a misfire and random stalling.[/b]
Thanks for the quick response. I will respond with results hopefully tomorrow after I replace the sensor. Any tips for that? My Haynes manual doesn't show the right location for my sensor. After some digging here and elsewhere, it seems to be near coilpack between firewall and the engine... mostly a blind manuever I expect.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Take a gander back there and look for the 2 tubes rising from the rear exhause manifold. They'll lead right to it. If you need more working room, you can remove the passenger side windshield cowl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update...

Replaced EGR Sensor. Was fairly easy to do, but cramped for hand/arm space.

Engine still running poorly and misfiring. AZ clerk re-read codes which remain 1401 and 301; had them reset. Then drove to Advance Auto and had codes read again; now only 301.

Assuming 1401 doesn't come back, I guess the "cylinder 1 misfire" 301 is unrelated to the EGR 1401.

Bought new plug wires with intent to inspect plug #1 and then if fine, replace the wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might want to check your ignition coil pack for any small cracks around #1 on the coil ,they have been known to crack and cause a misfire.Tony.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update and Success:

EGR Sensor replacement has definitely cleared the 1401 code.

Coil pack replacement ended up being the Cylinder #1 misfire problem. After ruling out plug wires (without ultimately replacing them), I replaced the coil and all is well! (incidentally, there was no visible sign of damage on the old coil whatsoever)

For future reference, I did remove the passenger side cowls which made getting to the coil and cylinder #1 plug wire much easier. While I was at it I replaced the cabin filter. I never actually pulled or replaced any plugs, and am pretty happy about it... :D since even with the cowls removed it didn't look like fun at all.

Thanks to all for the help and former posts that got me this far and probably saved me more than $200 in labor!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts