Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Taurus SES automatic
I had the transmission repaired a few weeks ago. After it was fixed, I took the car in for yearly inspection. Everything was fine except a few "codes" were reporting "not ready". Service station explained that disconnecting battery during repair blanked out codes and car needed to be driven to accumulate information. Recommended running the car for a week and returning. Did that, same results. Have run car for 300 miles now, and returned a second time, still "Not Ready" on some measurements, so can't pass inspection.

Now I'm thinking something more serious is wrong. Like certain sensors were not replaced during transmission overhaul? So i need to know just exactly how many miles or key cycles (or whatever) these things need before they are "ready" to report. Some measurements did report and were ok. Those missing are:
Catalyst Monitor "Not Ready"
Evaporative System Monitor "Not ReadY"
EGR Monitor "Not Ready"
These produce an overall "OBD Readiness Monitor Result" == FAIL

I gotta get this fixed or the temporary inspection will expire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of driving have you been doing? OBDII is typically done within a hundred miles, but if the car has not operated under certain conditions to complete particular tests, it may take longer.
[/b]
I've made some trips to the mall (10 miles) at 70 mph, some about 20 miles , and lots of short trips, over 3 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
Is it cold where you live? EVAP monitor will not run if temps are under about 35 to 40 deg.

Short trips = not enough time per drive cycle for some monitors to reset.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It sounds like they did plug things back in.I would take it back to the transmission shop and have them look to make sure everything is plugged in.In new york it takes two cold to hot drive cycles for the monitors to be ready.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bummer you have to drive the car through 30 warm up cycles for it to be ready for the test
[/b]
If I knew exactly what the right number is, then I could easily go out and do it, whatever it takes. But time is running out on my 60 day extension. Austex04, is 30 a guess or the right number?.

If EVAP doesn't set if under 35 degrees, does that mean external temp or the warmth of the engine? I live in New England, pretty cold.

Checked with transmission guys. No monitors were removed, but they ran a code check and found
no codes" ie the car reports no problems, such as a missing monitor. Lots of memories of other Fords having a similar problem.

Anybody know if reprogramming the PCM wil fix it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the drive cycle parameters.
[/b]
My god, THIS IS SO NUTS!! None of the legislators who created the new emissions standards for vehicle inspections have any clue that this is what people have to do to pass their test. This must be creating nightmares all over my state.

But, this is exactly what I needed....EXACTLY...and you guys have saved me an enormous amount of wasted time and money. THANK YOU SHOZ123

1 - 11 of 11 Posts