1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My Taurus is a 1999 Taurus SE Plus.
It has the 3.0L 24 valve engine.
There are 2 OBD II codes that will not go away.
They are P0710 & P0714.
I have spent $1600 to get these cleared.
They still exist.
I am lost at this point.
Research on the internet has suggested that it could be transmission sensor error.
That's all I've got.

Jay

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Hi!
They are P0710 & P0714.
They still exist.
I am lost at this point.
Research on the internet has suggested that it could be transmission sensor error.
That's all I've got.

Jay
Quote from search"

P0710 OBD-II Trouble Code: Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0710 means that your transmission is overheating, or that the sensor is faulty. This could be due to leaking, low, or dirty fluid, or a bad sensor.
P0714 OBD-II Trouble Code: Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent P0714 code means there is an abnormal transmission temperature often due too low transmission fluid and faulty parts.
-chart-

·
Registered
755 Posts
First off, if you have spent $1600 at a shop I would be going back to asking they rectify the issues.

Secondly, what work was done to try and fix the issues?

·
Registered
233 Posts
For $1600 they could have replaced the transmission with a reman or a good used one.
What, exactly did they do for their money?
Were the codes cleared when you got the car back from them?

From what you are telling us, I would look for bad wiring/connectors between the PCM and the trans temp sensor and even possibly a bad PCM.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, code P0714 is occurring because of code P0710. I, for start, would flush the transmission and replace the temperature sensor. It really sounds like that's all it needs. The shop you went to sounds like they didn't really do anything or they are just incompetent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi!
Unfortunately it was my Ford dealer that did the work.
They replaced a leaky intake gasket & the fuel pump plus the filter.
My research did indicate that these were tranny errors.
I will let them know.
Thanks!
Jay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi!
Yes, they are the P0171 & P0174 errors.
It looks like the dealer was on the right track.
The cause could be the intake gaskets or low fuel pressure.
Also, there could be a vacuum leak.
On a 19 year old car, that would not be surprising.
I will look for leaks tomorrow.

Jay

·
Registered
22,444 Posts
^ Much different from the p0710/714 tranny codes previously stated, lol! Suspect a vacuum leak(s) with both banks running lean. 1st suspect would be the u-shaped pcv hose under the tb. Next would be all the vac. hoses on the backside of the eng. between the firewall and the engine. If the fuel trims are high positive at idle and try to normalize at 2500 rpm, think vac. leak(s). If high positive at idle and remain or go even higher at 2500 rpm, think fuel problem such as fpr, pump and/or filter.

·
Super Moderator
7,697 Posts
As sheila stated, you have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi!
They are P0710 & P0714.
They still exist.
I am lost at this point.
That's all I've got.

Jay
You have the codes incorrectly listed and you have a vacuum leak. Have you had a flashing CEL and have you gone into restricted performance? A flashing CEL means you will be doing damage to the cats.

If you paid $1600 to the stealership- they should have a straight up procedure for finding the leak, otherwise call Ford USA and have a regional rep meet you at the dealership and get it fixed. They can occur at almost anyplace, but older gaskets, pipes and connection are the primary culprit and pre-cat exhaust leaks.

Do you get the smell of un-burned gas when you are in a garage or area that holds smells?

Are there any other codes besides a P1111 or P1000 that you see? And to be on the practical side, please take 3 minutes and clean your MAF.

TBB

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, no gas smell at all.
I did replace the MAF 1st thing as a precaution.
It seems to be a straight vacuum leak.
I am going track that down when I get time to do it.
Jay

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shops, like doctors, will sometimes do what they know how to do instead of what needs to be done.

Or things got garbled since the digits in 0171 and 0174 and digits in 0710 and 0714 are so similar. My bet is that when the work order went from one guy to another, and probably several times, before it got to the mechanic who did the work, the job got "corrected" to what is a much more common problem. Even so, last time I saw Chilton's is was a 4.0 hour job, which means they got you for about $200 and hour plus parts.

If I were you, I would have a heart to heart talk with the service manager. Document everything, make copies (never give them the originals) and make plain that you will go up to the ladder as far as it takes.

I saw a businessman friend of mine tell a shop he would have his competitor fix the problem and take him to small claims court for the bill. He got it done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi!
It looks like it only happens when the engine is warmed up.
It does not happen if the engine is cold.
It may be the throttle body to intake gasket.
Or something related.

Jay

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are there any noticeable symptoms besides the check engine light coming on?

There seems to be a disconnect here that I cannot easily grasp. Something does not compute for me.

P0171 and P0174 generally translate to the engine running lean due to a vacuum leak somewhere between the MAF and the cylinder heads (on rare occasions it can indicate a leaky exhaust system between the cylinder heads and the oxygen sensors). In any case, those things should be at their worst when the engine is cold, and tend to get better as the engine warms up.

Edit - I suppose it can mean that the fuel system is not delivering fuel properly, but your trip to the dealership and the fuel pump replacement should have ruled that out.

I would be very interested to see the freeze-frame data that is captured by the computer when the light turns on.

·
Super Moderator
7,697 Posts
^^^^^ Agreed..... Freeze frame data could help us diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi! There are no noticeable issues besides the light.
Occasionally, the RPM's will drop & the engine stumbles at lights.
It only seems to happen at 80 degrees & above.
The throttle body does reside between the MAF & the intake.
That's why I am suspecting the Throttle body to intake gasket.
Or one of the seals in the throttle body.

Jay

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
jayfmn
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing