Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fixing the dead short my neighbor and I found with alot of agrivation, I now have excessive detination when I tromp hard on the pedal, if I went to pass someone I'm afraid of melting a hole in the piston. Do 02 sensors take car of that or is there an antiknock sensor on the vulcan engine?

·
Registered
697 Posts
There is an antiknock sensor but you may have a too-lean condition contributing to the knock. The upstream O2 sensors are part of the feedback loop that are supposed to balance the air/fuel mixture.

If you have a scantool that can provide the fuel trim settings, it may give some insight into what might be causing the knock from a fuel/air perspective.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Lean

There is an antiknock sensor but you may have a too-lean condition contributing to the knock. The upstream O2 sensors are part of the feedback loop that are supposed to balance the air/fuel mixture.

If you have a scantool that can provide the fuel trim settings, it may give some insight into what might be causing the knock from a fuel/air perspective.
Lean under load is likely a knocker, and may be due to low fuel pressue, dut to filter, sock, pump, or regulator. Pressure may be fine except under full load. And I agree with your scan: if the long term fuel trim is much positive, expect to find insufficient fuel flow/pressure.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Also a large vacuum leak will cause this. Suspect an open PCV hose or intake gasket leaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts