Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...i've looked around this forum and have seen that you guys are really into your cars...so I have a friend who needs some help.....she has a 98 taurus and her check engine light came on...the repair guy at the garage sends her to a place that specializes in exhausts they say its her O2 sensors and that ALL 4 (?) of them need to be replaced costing her around 140 for each.....does this sound legit to you guys?

Thnx in advance for the help

·
Registered
167 Posts
NO- the chance that all 4 have gone bad is slim to none, the proce per also sounds pretty steep

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Post the codes she has and we can specifically tell what's wrong (usually :huh: )

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go to Autozone and they'll check her engine code for free. They'll give you a code number like P0136 or Po141. Come back here with that code number and we'll tell you exactly which of the four O2 sensors is acting up. You can buy these O2 Sensors for about $50 to $70 each. I'd think it shouldn't cost more than $50 labor to have it installed.

Or buy it yourself and put it on yourself. It's like a spark plug with a wire attached that screws into the exhaust pipe under the engine. It's not too hard but you'll need to get under the car via jacks or ramps,,,,

On my previous Taurus (a '96) I threw a code which indictated a faulty O2 Sensor. The guy at Autozone said we've got them here for $59 or something like that but some people pull them and clean the tip with a wire brush. That's what I did. Stuck it back in. Cleared the "Check engine Light" by removing the negative wire to the battery for a few minutes. Never had a problem again. Car worked fine for another 2 years until I sold it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Originally posted by maceslin@Sep 30 2004, 09:33 AM
NO- the chance that all 4 have gone bad is slim to none, the proce per also sounds pretty steep
I completely agree. That price is a little steep. In the unlikely event that all four are malfunctioning, it would likely be caused by some other problem in the engine, like unburnt fuel in the exhaust fouling up the sensors or something. Again, though, this is highly unlikely if there are no other symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts