Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I noticed, when looking on Rock Auto, that they list two O2 sensors (DY831, DY745) for upstream and one part number for the downstream (DY1089). These are Motorcraft numbers while others only specify one number upstream and one downstream.

Implies to me that both downstream are the same both the upstream sensors are different for each bank according to Motorcraft? Am I reading that right or not? Or, are the aftermarket ones like Bosch and Standard correct?

·
Registered
430 Posts
tbm,

This may cause some argument but it is my opinion so take it or leave it.
All Oxygen Sensors work the same way. They are designed to produce .1 to .5 volts. It goes back to Form, Fit and Function. The function is the same no matter who makes it. The only difference is how it is mounted and the plug connectors on the end and how long the probe may be. People will argue over one brand to the next but they are pretty much all the same. Before cat, after cat, one vehicle to the next vehicle,... all the same. If it fits and is wired correctly is should work fine. I get the cheapest ones I can find on ebay and have had no problems.

Ed

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
My Gen-2 3.8L had two different p/n's on its upstream O2 sensors & it seemed to have to do with the different harness lead length. One lead length was a good bit longer than the other.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
The sensors themselves are the same. The differences are in the wire length and harness colors. Motorcraft might have different lengths for the front and rear bank O2 sensors, but aftermarket might only have one longer length.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts