Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my check engine light came on a few weeks ago. i took it in and had a code scan. it said that the o2 sensor in my ehaust manifold was broken. since i didn't know if it was the left or right bank i replaced both. after i drove it a few miles the light came back on. so i took it back and had the code scan ran again. and it still said that my o2 sensor was broken. is there a fuse that may have burnt out that would cause this reading or maybe even a wiring problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry for not answering your question and asking mine.
I'm just curious - can you tell me which code is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
if it is only the O2 thing and nothing elce and you don't want to put new ones back on i would say put black tape over the light or leave it alone not having o2 thingys will not hurt the car.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
O2 sensors are the primary source for the A/F mixture adjustment in our cars!!! They are VERY important.

Jason, are you sure it was the UPPER H2OS sensor that was bad? there are four, in case you didn't know. Two before the cats, and two after. Also, do you know the actual code in the EEC?

It's pretty rare for it to be an electrical failure. It's a simple system, power is sent to the H2OS, and the voltage out of the sensor varies as the O2 concentration changes in the exhaust stream. the EEC reads the output voltage, and uses that to determine the A/F ratio. that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try changing the fuel filter also. Don't ask me why... I was throwing the same codes, and replaced the O2 sensor. Same codes came back on. I replaced the fuel filter after a tip I had heard somewhere, and the code went bye-bye.

Worth a shot, and a fuel filter is relatively cheap...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts