Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heaving some problems with my 07 ford Taurus the gin light came on and I took it up to auto zone and had a machine ran on it here r the codes PO17,and PO174 the guy said it has a o2 sensor problem and he also said its running lean can some one help me as soon as possible its my only way to and from work which is a hour drive

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
You will probably have to replace the bank 2 upstream oxygen sensor. This is located on the radiator side of the engine in the exhaust manifold. The car is still drivable until then, but your gas mileage may suffer. The light will stay on until you replace the sensor and reset the code. Not super critical, but try to fix it as soon as you have time. The car might be running rough or misfiring as well. This is a 10 minute fix for a mechanic.

The Motorcraft replacement part is DY-1039 and costs about $38 on RockAuto.com. You will also need a 7/8" flare-nut wrench. There are several how-to threads on this forum as well (use the search function).

More info:
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0170P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

You mistyped the first code so I don't know if you have a bank 1 problem as well (P0171?). Codes start with a P and have four digits. If both banks are bad, you may have a MAF sensor problem.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Since you have both P0171 and P0174, I would rule out the oxygen sensors for now. Two wouldn't go bad at the same time. Instead, you probably have a vacuum leak or a bad/dirty MAF sensor. Open the hood with the engine running and listen for any sucking or whistling noises. Inspect all the hoses going into the rubber intake boot. If you don't find anything amiss, you might clean the MAF (only use MAF cleaner and don't touch it with anything but the solvent). You might also inspect/replace your engine air filter.

More info: Ford P0171 & P0174 Lean Codes

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 on vacuum leak

^+1 on the vacuum leak.
I agree with behlinla and sheila. I had lean bank 1 and lean bank 2 on 2000 Sable wagon w/ DuraTec. I found the boot that attaches the crankcase vent tube to the rear bank valve cover (back by the EGR valve) had a !HUGE! hole in it. I can hardly believe the car ran at all, much less as well as it did.

After fixing the hole (replaced the connector boot) and clearing the codes, it's never been back.

I did do both upstream sensors before finding the vacuum leak, but they needed to be done anyway!

Cheers,
PT

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
I a loud sucking sound only when I rev it?
You will hear the intake sucking when you rev it, which is normal. You want to listen for any leaks at idle, since the vacuum is the strongest with the throttle closed. Look for open hose ends or loose connections. When you find a leak and cover it, the idle will change slightly. You can also check for leaks with carburetor cleaner. Just watch where you spray it. Watch the vid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts