Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car last spring for 400. It needed quite a bit of work. Changed rear hubs immediately. Pulled the engine, replaced with engine from the red/black wagon I made a sho out of. Transmissions good, I hope. This is my junkyard go to car. My parts getter, my utility car! Heres some pics of it, what you think?

Front bumper was smashed, put a gen1 sho bumper! Total mismatch.

Beautiful, the rust gives it some highlight.

Gotta love the rear, hatch works, changed the shocks.

Dirty! Oh well, its my work wagon, took the dirty hanging roof out.

Backseats are ok actually, original

Front seats I took out of a barebones 87 sable gs. That wagon had no options, rolly windows, and rare vinyl seats, I like them, there perfect.

Digital dash, oh yeah

Gotta love the dent

Engine runs fantastic, so does transmission. Aux tranny cooler installed, and air conditioning has new hoses, orific tube, dryer, and all new O-rings on all connections. Blows nice and cold!

·
Registered
424 Posts
WTG about getting the POS 3.8 out of it! I hate that engine, but not as much as I hate them in T-birds/Cougars

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WTG about getting the POS 3.8 out of it! I hate that engine, but not as much as I hate them in T-birds/Cougars
You kidding! The 3.8 has been a very good engine to me. I had 3 of them at one point, never had trouble with them. My 95 Sable I bought with 82,000 miles now up to 127,000 miles with no trouble at all. The 3.8 have plenty more power to pull the slightly heavier wagon up to speed quickly, and dont have to rev the rpm high to do it. The 3.8 is also very simple and easy to work.

In fact, the reason I put the 3.8 from the red car into this is because its 3.8 had a blown rod bearing, it made horrible knocking. But funny thing, it still drove no problem. Wasn't for the noise, would not have known. The rod bearings in the one cylinder were fried!

·
Registered
424 Posts
You kidding! The 3.8 has been a very good engine to me. I had 3 of them at one point, never had trouble with them. My 95 Sable I bought with 82,000 miles now up to 127,000 miles with no trouble at all. The 3.8 have plenty more power to pull the slightly heavier wagon up to speed quickly, and dont have to rev the rpm high to do it. The 3.8 is also very simple and easy to work.

In fact, the reason I put the 3.8 from the red car into this is because its 3.8 had a blown rod bearing, it made horrible knocking. But funny thing, it still drove no problem. Wasn't for the noise, would not have known. The rod bearings in the one cylinder were fried!
Well, you are awfully lucky, my mom had a 93 Cougar with the 3.8, it had 105K on it when she got it and it was babied. She didn't even have it 2 months when the HG's went bad. :angry: Yeah, I guess I agree they can MOVE a D186 car, but they are merely adequate in a MN-12.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Gotta love those old wagons. Reminds me of my 92 taurus wagon, though I had the 3.0 in it. I always thought the basket weaves looked great on the wagons too. Keep the ol' girl running, not many on the roads anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gotta love the classics! But I hate how Ford uses the SAME steering wheel for EVERY car. It gets annoying sometimes. But you better take car of that girl. No more boxy wagons anymore on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the headgaskets are a problem in those 3.8's. Change them to the new type and no longer a problem. I would take a lucky guess and say mine have been changed once before to the new type.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
She's a bute, Clark.:D
lol nice reference.

Hey for $400 who cares!? That's a deal Chris. Sable LS wagon for $400 heck yea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts