Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the insurance company calls me up the other night to tell me that my SHO is totalled (bulls***!) I knew the battle over this was not over yet, but needless to say I didn't sleep very well that night (thursday) the next day was our turn to counter, and we provided them with a list of the $4000 worth of upgrades to the car not including any of the $3000 in stereo equipment, since the insurance said I could easily take that stuff out of the car, and that they could total it without paying me for that stuff. and well, they untotalled that car quickly. strange how suddenly hearing that the car is worth $4 grand more will change minds. and they have now officially agreed to fix it. it was quite a relief to hear, althoug they put through hell for a day.

still pisses me off that after all that, I asked how much they valued my car at...$6600! I mean seriously, even kelly blue book said 9500 retail value, and they come over here and say its only worth 6600? what would you think would be the value of a 97 SHO, 65k on the clock, all options, impeccable esthetic and mechanical condition, with welded cams, mobil 1 oil and K&N oil filter fed engine...even without the mods my car is easily worth 11k IMHO. and yeah, I know these cars aren't really worth what they should be, but a car this special, with low miles, well maintained, and welded cams (yes, we told them about that!) and its "worth" 6600? WHATEVER!

now I'm just anxious to bring her back home. we were able to give the body shop the go ahead to begin repairs. now that I've been living my worst nightmares for the last 4 weeks while the insurance company was dicking around with us (the other one, we are dealing with OUR insruance now, and they are much better to work with) its been far too long, and they are just starting repairs. I don't know what I'm going to do for another month.

I need a hug :(

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
*pat on the back*

Sorry, buddy :D At least you know you have an SHO. Just think about how sweet it'll be to have it back! :)

J

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear everything is working out for you. Sorry you had to go through all that though.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles@Jun 12 2004, 10:41 PM
so the insurance company calls me up the other night to tell me that my SHO it totalled (bulls***!) I knew the battle over this was not over yet, but needless to say I didn't sleep very well that night (thursday) the next day was our turn to counter, and we provided them with a list of the $4000 worth of upgrades to the car not including any of the $3000 in stereo equipment, since the insurance said I could easily take that stuff out of the car, and that they could total it without paying me for that stuff. and well, they untotalled that car quickly. strange how suddenly hearing that the car is worth $4 grand more will change minds. and they have now officially agreed to fix it. it was quite a relief to hear, althoug they put through hell for a day.

still pisses me off that after all that, I asked how much they valued my car at...$6600! I mean seriously, even kelly blue book said 9500 retail value, and they come over here and say its only worth 6600? what would you think would be the value of a 97 SHO, 65k on the clock, all options, impeccable esthetic and mechanical condition, with welded cams, mobil 1 oil and K&N oil filter fed engine...even without the mods my car is easily worth 11k IMHO. and yeah, I know these cars aren't really worth what they should be, but a car this special, with low miles, well maintained, and welded cams (yes, we told them about that!) and its "worth" 6600? WHATEVER!

now I'm just anxious to bring her back home. we were able to give the body shop the go ahead to begin repairs. now that I've been living my worst nightmares for the last 4 weeks while the insurance company was dicking around with us (the other one, we are dealing with OUR insruance now, and they are much better to work with) its been far too long, and they are just starting repairs. I don't know what I'm going to do for another month.

I need a hug :(
Well it's good that you didn't get it totaled out. The insurance companies in my state uses the NADA guide to determine book value, Kelly Blue Book is more of a marketing tool that the dealers use. If you go to www.nadaguide.com and punch in your 97 with 65k, you get about 7K for retail depending on options and mileage. There are also local market adjustements.

I just punched your specs into autotrader and I get several listings of cars that are worth between $6k-$7k with a few at 8-9k. The car is worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it and what other cars are available. American cars just don't hold their value well which is why they're great to buy as a used car, not so great as a new one. Hell, my 2001 Taurus SEL with most options was only $10k a few months ago with 28k and you think a '97 with 65k is worth 11k?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by HenrySel@Jun 13 2004, 01:32 AM
my 2001 Taurus SEL with most options was only $10k a few months ago with 28k and you think a '97 with 65k is worth 11k?
yes

SHO + already welded cams + perfect condition + low miles (for a 97 SHO) = worth something. if it weren't for the cam problem and the abundance of Tauruses it would be worth much more still. they sell new for 31k.

I looked online for other SHOs across the country with similar miles, and in good shape, I found many going for $10.5k - $13k, and none of those were welded. the market value for the car according to the bank was $14k when I bought it.

B

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear the car is getting repaired!

As far as the value though, it sucks. Even with low miles, etc. it's hard to get a good price for a Gen 3 SHO. Heck, Kirk is willing to sell his now for around $6500, and it has a ton of mods.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Great news!

I think a lot of people choose to total their cars after accidents since they don't want to be without a car for a long time. I know my last visit at the Body shop took a month, thats a long time to be without a car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hang in there mcgilles.. your sho im sure is the envy of a lot of drivers here..
not the least of which is ME! LOL

Itll be worth it to have er back im sure =]

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I know there is a lot of 1999 SHO's that sell for around $13,999 here. I wouldn't pay that...but thats what they are going for.

-Kyle

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 13 2004, 11:21 AM
Kirk is selling his SHO ?
The 97, yes. Either selling or trading. He'll still have the heavily modified 91 though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts