Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Taurus Wagon, Vulcan Engine, AX4N tranny, bought 2 years ago with 48,000 miles--now has 58,000 miles. We live in the flatlands of Indiana, and have done a lot of interstate driving with no problems with the cruise control. Made a trip out to Virginia to see my 87-year old father last week. Went to Washington, Pa., then took I79 down to Morgantown, then I68 across W. VA., Maryland, to Hancock, then 522 down through Virginia. In the mountains on I68, I set the cruise for 65mph. Climbing the hills, the tach would rev from 2300rpm to 3600rpm, then drop back down trying to keep the speed at 65mph. Coming down the hills, you could feel the car surge back and forth as the cruise fought to keep the speed at 65mph. Just wondering out loud if people drive like this with the cruise on all the time, no wonder these trannys fail so much. After a couple minutes of this, I took the cruise off and did OK by delicately holding the accelerator at 2800rpm going up hill, and braking every so often going downhill. Made the same trip about 4-5 years ago in my 97 Windstar and don't recall having this problem. Also, around Columbus OH., car jerked about 3-4 times when going 50-60 mph. Felt like fuel delivery, but could have been tranny related (happened 3 times to the wife--think she was messing with the cruise (resume, coast, etc.), and that may have been part of the problem. Had fuel filter replaced last September. Stopped after Columbus and filled up with mid-grade which I ran the rest of the trip and didn't have any more problems. The plus--got over 28+ mpg one time (& this was going through the mountains), and 26 mpg a couple of other times. Contribute it to the mid-grade gas, because we usually only get 25 mpg on interstate driving.

·
Registered
331 Posts
when coming up on hills.. i usually tap the brake to temporarily disable cc, downshift out of OD into D and climb the hill.. afterwards i hit resume

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
My point was unless it is +7% grades the car should be able to handle the hill OK. If it doesn't then there is a power problem. When was the last time it was tuned up? How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
111 Posts
i live right beside I68 in cumberland. so i can tell you from first hand experience, cruise control is probably not a good idea to use on these mountains. its a major PITA. i dont think your engine is down on power like SHOZ123 said, trust me, its just the road, these are some hell-ish mountains. if you ever come out this way again, just use your foot :lol2:

also, might want to check the alignment on the car. the roads out here are horrible... i get mine done 3-4 times a year :glare: as do a lot of other people i know.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The car shouldn't be slowing itself down (besides coast) on cruise control though, should it be?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It should try to maintain the set speed.

Cruise control first uses timing to try and keep the speed within 1 mph. When the grade makes this difficult then IAC and throttle will be used depending on what the demand is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Repy to Jack 47904---as stated in my original post, I shut the cruise off after a couple of minutes and didn't use it any more in the mountains, and car did OK. As far as I68, I think it's a great highway. You want to see some bad roads, come out to Indiana.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 23 2009, 11:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711421
It should try to maintain the set speed.

Cruise control first uses timing to try and keep the speed within 1 mph. When the grade makes this difficult then IAC and throttle will be used depending on what the demand is.[/b]
Throttle and IAC when going up the hill I'll assume you mean? But what if you go down a really steep hill and the car gets going maybe 5+ MPH faster than the set speed?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It will throttle back the IAC and cut timing and turn the fuel injectors off.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
According to my scan gauge, the fuel economy going down a steep hill will read 9999 MPG (meaning that the PCM shut the injectors off).

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That's one of the things I play with in the tunes I write. It really increases the engine braking, some people find it a bit bothersome but it can be modulated and made not so noticable (effective).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (herrhaus @ Mar 24 2009, 06:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711737
According to my scan gauge, the fuel economy going down a steep hill will read 9999 MPG (meaning that the PCM shut the injectors off).[/b]
I notice that too, that and the TQ, Timing(I think it did) and HP readout drops to 0.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 25 2009, 01:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712058
No they do not downshift.[/b]
Yeah, there seems to be two schools of thought, American and Rest of World (except Saabs prior to the 99s). For many years, the approach for most US marques has been free coasting... though not the actual freewheel mechanism on the earlier Saabs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts