Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
Sensor#2, bank#2 is the downstream (post-cat) o2 sensor for the front bank. Easy way to remember which bank is which: bank#1 is always where #1 cylinder/#1 spark plug resides.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Pre cat electrical connectors are green, post cat connectors are blue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thank you!

I used a laser light and the 2 cats I can easily access are reading higher at the inlet than outlet (bank 2 and rear). I am not having any symptoms other than CEL (code PO430). No smell, no rattle noises, no loss of power. Could a bad 02 sensor make it read bad or do I just need to replace my catalytic converters? Bank 2, it's only about 30 degrees hotter, but the rear cat, it's like 120 degrees hotter at the inlet. I don't know much about cars. Just trying to learn as I go. Auto store did not mention the cat or 02 sensor at all. They said maybe a small vacuum leak.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Cat outlet temp should be higher than inlet temp by 100 C at least. That, along with the 430 code, means cat is dead. Either replace the cat or, if the cat isnt clogged and reducing performance and MPG, spend $20 on "MIL eliminators", which look like the old spark plug antifoulers. Simply remove post cat O2, screw in the adapter, and screw the O2 into the adapter. They work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
IF.. your mechanic is competent and thorough, he would have removed the upstream sensor and attached a pressure gauge. If pressure is >3psi convertor is restricting, and should be replaced. I wouldn't return your cat; as you will need it sooner or later.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I changed both 02 sensors and my car did great the start with (had the code erased) but CEL finally came back on yesterday and my car is constantly revving up and down while stopping at a light or in park. Pulling 2 codes for the cat. Auto store said it was my 02 sensors. Will they act up like this because the cat is clogged?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts