Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a Ford Taurus police package 3.7L. has around 75,000 miles on it. The year is 2015. Will be paying roughly around 10K for it. I want to know every single little pro and con of it. I also want to know how long the engine would last compared to the crown Vic. I'm coming from a 2010 Chevy Impala police package.

Additionally I am looking at purchasing a crown Vic CVPI as a additional option if I do not get the Taurus. What are the pros and cons of a 2011 CVPI?

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
^^^^ +1 on the water pump issue!

If it were me, I would go with the Crown Vic Interceptor. Bulletproof engine and tranny and MUCH less electronics to go bad.

Reactions: james27613

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Additionally the situation with the crown Vic is I will be purchasing blind. However the dealership I will be purchasing from has been selling used ex police cars for the last 30 years give or take. so I feel kind of confident and saying I will gladly purchase blindly. What do you all think? I really don't want to travel five and a half hours one way just to buy a car physically I'd rather just pay the money and have it shipped

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did you ask for the CarFax, maintenance records, recalls? Ask all that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya they got me all the information I needed. I really want the Taurus but it just bothers me with the H2O pump possibility. Plus I'm not exactly Rich to be affording expensive repairs. Compared to the Vic it's significantly cheaper just go with the Vic

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking at buying a Ford Taurus police package 3.7L. has around 75,000 miles on it. The year is 2015. Will be paying roughly around 10K for it. I want to know every single little pro and con of it. I also want to know how long the engine would last compared to the crown Vic. I'm coming from a 2010 Chevy Impala police package.

Additionally I am looking at purchasing a crown Vic CVPI as a additional option if I do not get the Taurus. What are the pros and cons of a 2011 CVPI?
I have a 2000 Dual Overhead 24 Valve Dual cam Duratec 115,000 miles , aside from replacing all coils ,plugs and Upper Intake Gaskets my Taurus SE is a Great Investment
I paid $1.00 for it through a families Estate sale before this car I only owned GM , I run 100% Synthetic oil and when something needs to be replaced I upgrade 3 levels with aftermarket resources , my next job will be replacing Brakes with Drilled and Slotted rotors with Ceramics also Heavy Duty Drums ( under $400.00 through BUYAUTO.COM)

·
Registered
2014 Ford Taurus Limited
2 Posts
I second the water pump issue. Mine is a 2014 Limited with 140k on it and had to do all bearings at 125k in addition to the control arms because my ball joints had play. Ball joints cannot be replaced without doing the arms too. My manifold has a leak, all 4 struts need to be replaced and I have an issue with going through tires every 3-6 months. Had camber adjusters installed at all 4 corners and still have the issue. Transmission shifts hard every now and again and sometimes it is slow going into gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2014 Limited with AWD with 130K and had to replace the water pump last November at 115K at a cost of $1400...and I was lucky that I noticed a slow coolant leak with no drips and googled it...I immediately rented a car <I was traveling for work> brought it in for a pressure test. Could have been a catastrophic engine failure if the double gasket had failed in the other direction. Great engine, poor design: same on 3.5 and 3.7.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
well, if you really want the taurus, just plan to immediately put a new water pump in it
to avoid future engine failure. I think there is a way on the cop interceptors to bring up how many
hours its been running. might be nice to know that information if you can get it. Remember, that
engine could have been sitting idling, wearing the pump much longer that the actual miles would
lead you to believe

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude I love my taurus I bought a 2007 Ford Taurus pretty sure it was a cop car from why I found it it had 31,000 miles on I got it for 6000 out the door tags and title paid full cash although I’m have a no start issue but I’m also modifying a lot of it as well so it was probably my own created issue but other then that it handles beautifully it fits my four subwoofers and still have trunk space the engine has power although lack a bit off the line but I can fix that soon I would definitely buy another Taurus

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
^^^^ Your 07 has nothing in common with the 08+ other than having the name TAURUS on it. Would I buy another G2 thru G4 Taurus? YES.......Would I buy a G5 or G6 with the Cyclone engine and more electronics than there were in the space shuttle? NOOOOO!

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I have 3 G-4's in my herd now and had one in the past, all DOHC.
My Sable wagon in my all time favorite ride. I average just over 8 trips a day, just over 4 miles per trip. It is just comfortable and reliable.
I have '11 Buick Lucerne in my parking spot out front. Has not been moved in bit over 2 weeks. Nice car but the wagon is just like the "old shoe" effect.
And this: the A/C is great. Only issues in 5 years is broken spring and door wire in accordion break.
Just my op.
-chart-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts