Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from the bowling alley I just raced my friend's jeep cherokee. It was kind of old school and boxy lookin, not sure what year, but I can ask him later. I think he has the straight six, too. Anyway, both of us had a driver, a passenger, and bowling gear(my friends are league bowlers
), so we were pretty weighted down. Anyway, we went from about 25, he got to downshift first, and I didn't start to pass him until about 70. He put up a good fight. Even though we were both weighted down, I think his car handles the extra weight better than my torqueless wonder duratec. But I still got him.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Postmortem@Jan 21 2004, 11:46 PM
it is not torqueless, as long as it has displacement over 2.0L.
After riding around in my friend's el camino with a 350 crate motor, and another friend's supercharged nova, I can definitely say my car is a torque-less wonder.

J

·
0 Posts
he had the 4.0L I6 then, my friend has one of those - they are pretty quick, that 4L is a pretty torquey engine. Nice kill though

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
It's also geared to tow, not to accelerate though. I would imagine the engine has more torque then horsepower?

-Dan

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Jan 22 2004, 08:38 AM
It's also geared to tow, not to accelerate though. I would imagine the engine has more torque then horsepower?

-Dan
very true... and yes it does have more torque than HP, don't remember the exact numbers though

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Jan 22 2004, 08:51 AM
very true... and yes it does have more torque than HP, don't remember the exact numbers though 
190HP @ 4600rpm and 235lb-ft @ 3200rpm

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
One of my friends has an '01 with the 4L, auto, and 4x4 - it's pretty quick off the line, real torquey, but on the highway (speeds upwards of 40 mph) it just doesn't have the same kick. They are geared to tow, but I wouldn't want to tow anything of decent size behind one of those things, they aren't that torquey and they don't weight much compared to larger vehicles. He has consistent annoying problems with his too, rattling metal pieces and such...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I once raced a V8 Grand Cherokee in a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. The G/C left the Intrepid in the dust. I had raced a early 1990s Caddy w/ a V8 (4.5 Liter I think) and the Intrepid wasted the Caddy. Weird.

Those 4.0 I-6 are good engines, but the rest of the vehicles usually fall apart sooner, lol.

The 4.0 V6 in Ford Ranger, Explorer, Aerostar, ect is a torque monster too but I took my buddy in his 1992 Ranger 4.0 with my Taurus Vulcan (my 87 GL I think).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by johntaurus@Jan 22 2004, 02:20 PM
I once raced a V8 Grand Cherokee in a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. The G/C left the Intrepid in the dust.
I have a friend with a '98 GC with the 318 (5.2L) V8. I was pretty impressed with it the first time I drove it. I was suprised a relatively old style V8 (still uses throttle body injection) could move the Jeep with authority. I think it only makes 220hp but of course makes lots of torque. I believe the GC does 0-60 in 8.2s or something...not too bad for such a large, boxy vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I talked to him again. He's got a 95 cherokee sport and on the back it says 4.0 high output.

Speaking of the 4.0 v6 in the explorer, I raced one of those and it stomped my a** off the line, but I caught and passed him around 45 or 50mph. Those things have low gears AND posi-traction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts