Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay car buffs with a little knowledge. I bought an 01 Taurus on Saturday (mostly for my 3 month olds stuff!). I bought it with it written into the deal that they would fix the squeel; but I'd like to have some clue as to what it is before I take it in.

It makes the noise all the time; even after warming up. I know it's not the belt for sure. I am thinking it may be the water pump; partially because of the slight coolant smell (weep hole leak smell). I am fairly sure it's not the tensioner because when I press on the belt it is tight but not too tight. So maybe it's just water pump bearing noise? Or maybe the dreaded idler pulley or even belt tensioner. I don't think it's the alternator- no light on.

Any ideas?

Thanks so very much,
Tina

·
Registered
208 Posts
does it sound like metal on metal contact?? Does it go away for a little bit then when its idling it comes back??

If so - one of your pullies is going bad. I have this problem on my car now. Why don't you take the belt off and check all the pullies and pumps?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Does the noise go away after you get above 300-3500 rpms?? Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. It was the Idler and the tensioner that were fouled up. Try your best in diagnosing it, and good luck my friend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I just traded my 94 Saturn in for this car. That one had almost 120k on it and in the past 6 months I had replaced the water pump, the idler pulley, the belt tensioner, and the alternator. So, basically everything with a pulley on it excluding the p/s pump. The noise doesn't go away and I am starting to think that maybe the tension may be a little too tight and that's what caused the problem.

I would be bringing it into the shop tonight to pop off the belt if I didn't have to take my daughter to the ER after work for an ear infection (fever of 104F- yuck).

The noise is not too too loud and they are fixing it in a week; just I would feel better knowing what it is before I walk in. I work for a dealership (in the same family of dealers) and I know how shady we can sometimes be. Not so much on my end (parts); but sales and service can sometimes get down and dirty!

Thanks again and I will hopefully be able to get Betsy-also in the shop here tomorrow to look at her.

Tina

1 - 7 of 7 Posts