Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know very little about cars so I’ve been reading and watching videos. Anyway I have a 99 Taurus ohv I have almost no heat the car is not running hot or anything but It does smell like it’s overheating but it’s not temp is normal what could it be???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Confirm coolant level is good first. These cars are known for plugged heater cores. Feel both hoses going in/out of heater core. They should be hot when engine is at normal operating temp. If not, flush heater core and hope that solves problem. Could also be blend door.

·
Registered
596 Posts
When fully warmed up:

1) If heater hose going into heater core is NOT too hot to touch, then your thermostat is probably faulty.

2) If heater hose going into heater core IS too hot to touch AND hose coming out of heater core ISN'T too hot to touch, then your heater core is blocked. The heater core needs cleaning or replacement.

3) If BOTH heater hoses are too hot to touch, then you have a blend door issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update I did the Clinton flush on my heater core I now have heat now the car is smoking from the radiator overflow but still not overheating did I over fill the overflow????

·
Registered
248 Posts
If there is smoke coming from your overflow tank, I would be checking for a blown head gasket.

·
Super Moderator
7,923 Posts
Have you checked carefully for small cracks in the surge tank? Any coolant dribbles under the tank? If the tank is cracked, replace it with the Motorcraft part ONLY. The Dorman replacement tank most parts stores sell is junk.

If you are 100% sure there are no cracks in the tank, replace the cap on the tank with the correct Motorcraft part ONLY, not a junk part from the discount parts store.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Have you checked carefully for small cracks in the surge tank? Any coolant dribbles under the tank? If the tank is cracked, replace it with the Motorcraft part ONLY. The Dorman replacement tank most parts stores sell is junk.

If you are 100% sure there are no cracks in the tank, replace the cap on the tank with the correct Motorcraft part ONLY, not a junk part from the discount parts store.
Re designed MC cap is RS-527. I have had 2 OE caps fail. One in pic seeping. Lin Cont blew coolant all over the engine and hood. Had to borrow a car to take the wife to scheduled medical.
So, when I buy a used Bull, I replace the cap. No need to take a chance. Last used buy March last year. I get the caps from RA.
For contrast, My Buick Lucerne does not use a pressure tank. Old School "overflow recovery tank". And to add to that, they used a riser tube with the cap up high. When draining, you can fill full easily. And the bad news/good news. Buick had water pump bearing noise, had shop replace, one hour labor. Take that FORD. But I do not like the Buick so I drive the Sable Wagon nearly all the time. Wife refuses to drive the Buick so I have to use it from time to time. She gets the wagon when she needs to drive. I get stuck with the Buick.
-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input I ended up doing nothing besides rescuing the cap it hasn’t leaked or smoked since

1 - 12 of 12 Posts