Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In fact Laura is going strong. 152,000 on her orginal transmission now.

The mobil 1 transmission fluid and oil seem to be paying off. Been running 5W-20 for 53k+ miles now. I wonder how long she'll have to stay alive for the 5W-20 from Mobil 1 to get the respect it deserves?

Sorry for not being around. Nothings needed fixing and I happy with her as she is. I'll look over the forums the next couple of days to see what's up.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
After 150k I would go to the 5W-30 just to be safe. Synthetic also, same brand as you have now.
What is your manual recommending?

But without having a true oil pressure measurement or/and oil analisys is hard to be sure if you really need it.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After 150k I would go to the 5W-30 just to be safe. Synthetic also, same brand as you have now.
What is your manual recommending?

But without having a true oil pressure measurement or/and oil analisys is hard to be sure if you really need it.
I've had this conversation many, many times before.

The manual lists 5W-30 but the TSB recommends 5W-20.

I am very happy with the "path I've chosen" for my Sable.

I use the 5W-20 Extended Mobil 1 and I change my oil every 15k miles or so and I also run my filters for that long as well.

Daring? I think not. My engine just gets cleaner and cleaner with each oil change. I was pretty amazed at how clean everything was from the oil stick to the view through the oil fill port... Shiny and clean. :wub:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wow I surpassed you in miles. Your commute must have shortened :lol: Welcome back.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It sounds scary to go 15000 miles on the same oil, but I'm becoming convinced that that is the way of the future. Unless laboratory oil analysis can prove it wrong there is correctness doing it. In particular, vehicles that are mostly highway miles do not need 3000 mile oil changes, but they did in the 1970's. In those days motor oil was lower technology and the gasolines were leaded and sulfurous leading to less than 100,000 mile engine life. todays engines do not polute their oil as bad as those days.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All those people going synthetic think that they are super jerks! Oh yes! You are Dinks!

I've never seen an engine get cleaner like mine is using the Mobil 1 extended performance. Never seen it before and don't even pretend to understand how with 15k change intervals my engine is cleaner now than it was at 99k miles.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I
The manual lists 5W-30 but the TSB recommends 5W-20.
Is the TSB referring to engines that have 150k miles? Personally I don't belive in lowering the viscosity requirements AFTER they build the engine. And not after it's normal wear at 100-150k miles. "Clean" engine means just that the oil you use has a good detergent additive (synthetics have that in common). Doesn't tell nothing about the actual wear.
I run synthetics too (in all my cars), but I don't force my luck.
Good luck with your "path".

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the TSB referring to engines that have 150k miles? Personally I don't belive in lowering the viscosity requirements AFTER they build the engine. And not after it's normal wear at 100-150k miles. "Clean" engine means just that the oil you use has a good detergent additive (synthetics have that in common). Doesn't tell nothing about the actual wear.
I run synthetics too (in all my cars), but I don't force my luck.
Good luck with your "path".

It's good to see the passion is still here. I'm not being a smart ass either. It's good to see that the "oil argument" is still passionate and that a club member who thinks another club member is hurting their Taurus/Sable is still willing to tell them so.

God bless.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I am not trying to prove nothing, just saying my oppinion... like everybody here.

I trully think that it hurt my Explorer V8 engine running the 20 grade oil, just because Ford wanted to pass some government imposed fuel economy standards and typed 5W-20 in my manual. When the years before it was 5W-30.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I belong to a charger forum also (wife's car). quite a few there are running 10,000 miles between oil changes and a few have posted their lab results. However, they run a custom blended oil from BND automotive. As for me, I run Mobil 1 in her car, The Sable got Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend before my son took the car away and my Thunderbird gets Valvoline VR1 for it's added zinc.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
No Name Sable

In fact Laura is going strong. 152,000 on her orginal transmission now.

The mobil 1 transmission fluid and oil seem to be paying off. Been running 5W-20 for 53k+ miles now. I wonder how long she'll have to stay alive for the 5W-20 from Mobil 1 to get the respect it deserves?

Sorry for not being around. Nothings needed fixing and I happy with her as she is. I'll look over the forums the next couple of days to see what's up.
My resurrected from totaled back on the road, well sort of.
Windshield and sun roof. Remaining dents.
Still got glass shards out of the center AC vents.
81K on 2003. LS Premium, loaded.
Clean and RUST FREE!
My daughter gets to pick a name. The car is a survivor.
-chart-

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Mike B, that price is for the VR1 conventional. The VR1 synthetic is $8.89/qt. at oreilly, 70 cents/qt. higher than az.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mike B, that price is for the VR1 conventional. The VR1 synthetic is $8.89/qt. at oreilly, 70 cents/qt. higher than az.
That is correct. I don't run the synthetic. Thunderbird is driven anywhere from 500 to 1,500 miles a year, Oil is changed when it goes to bed in the late fall and again when woken up in early spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts