Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the title states today was not a good day for sable. it started out normal went and got gas before i left for school and before the price went up for fishing opener weekend. put in 27 dollars worth (about 12 gallons), and left for school, trip was mostly uneventful untill i got about a mile from school i started smelling something burning kinda smelled like burning leaves only a little more sweet. didnt think too much of it, opened the window and shut the radio off. figured i would keep going and hope it wasnt my car. got within about 10 blocks from school and at a red light smoke starts billowing out from under the hood so as soon as the light turns green i punch it to get into the other lane so i can turn off. immediatly park on a side street and shut the car off and pop the hood, tons of smoke couldnt see anything for a little while made sure there was no fire, then looked under teh car where i could tell it was coolant leaking all over the place... let the car cool down and headed for school. sat through an hour of class and brought my car into the shop where i determined it was one of the heater core hoses that had rusted through. me being a broke college kid couldnt afford a tow or to bring it to a local stealership so a friend and i decided to go and get his uncles flat bed trailer. got back an hour later having no problems line the car up and tried driving it up well here is where it all goes bad we were paying too much attention to making sure the bumper wouldnt hit we forgot my exhaust hung real low... well the exhaust got caught on the the edge of the trailer and by the time i realized it it was too late so i just kept going. so it bent my exhaust backwards into the gas tank bending it and making it split open...

so now i need a new tank (and gas), new exhaust (which i may still have a piece from the sho i stole the exhaust from), and a new heater core hose...

now i need to decide if i should focus on the sable or contour first...

on a couple side notes you can see my freshly painted grille. and the 350 my friend and i rebuilt got a workout pulling the sable today

a couple extra pics of the grille:

the color is actually dark garnet red (pn t402) it is very close to chestnut brown its got a little more red though

btw whoever deleted my double post, you deleted the one that had everything still on it... but i had a copy saved so no big deal

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
wow that totally blows but i love the grille and that front lip!!!

what do you think about losing the chrome around the grille? maybe a photochop is needed....

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welll after i got it all done i was kinda thinking the chrome didnt look right anymore... i was thinking maybe going back and doing gloss black? yeah i wish i would have left the emblem but i did it in an attemp to make it hide a few months ago, i had painted it flat black but i went over it again with clear so it looks a little better

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ouch!

Living on the opposite end of Lakes Country (Fargo, ND), I've learned one thing: Stay home the day of the fishing opener! :D

But seriously though, I, too, am also a broke college kid and having a major car catastrophe sucks (especially when had my 95 SHO - those were some very expensive repairs!)

Hope you get it all fixed up!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow just found out one of my co-workers/friends was rear ended in her 01 taurus yesterday too, friday was not a good day, i saw some pics and the damage on hers was the hole rear quarter, bumper is shot, tailight, and even the weather strip on the back door popped off! i am hoping it is not totalled but i have a feeling it is going to be...

as for my car i am going to check with a couple ford dealerships and see if they can get the heater core hose i need and after i find out the price/availability then i will decide which to focus on first (contour or sable), on a brighter side i did find a used gas tank for 35 bucks that i may be picking up this week. if i do end up fixing the sable first then i think at least for now the exhaust is going to stay broken... not cause i dont have the parts but because i need a car and i need it soon!!

wish me luck that the dealership still carries that hose and that its not too expensive!!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i finally got busy today the car has sat untouched for almost a month (monday!) not even moved an inch. i got my exhaust from the cat all the way back off (except 2 feet that was my res delete pipe), got the rear sway bar out (being replace with 26mm), wow i guess i thought i got more done... anyway here are a couple pics (sorry for the cell phone pics but my camera is full will take pics with "real" camera tomorrow)

top one is what its supposed to look like bottom one is off the car...

i think this is going to be progress thread on this if for nothing else my own benefit.

my plans for it this time it is down are going to be 24mm/26mm sway bar combo, new coolant hoses as many as i can replace along with complete system flush, fix power steering leak, gen 3 evap lines, new gas tank, new brake pads (INEED sugestions lol the ceramic ones i have suck SO bad!! lol), rear e brake cables all of this for sure and maybe a tranny flush, prof exhaust, and ASFB's these all depend on how much money i can pull together

also had a few questions

1. is it a possibility to put an 18 gallon tank in my (if it is not already 18?) car and use the same sending unit or are they completely different.

2. what brake pads should i use i want good braking but i dont want them to wear out quick like metalic ones. maybe some organic type? ceramic i do not like my brakes suck so bad with them quiet and not dusty yes but suck

3. for sway bar bushings are the mounting tabs/style the same from an 89 SHO as the ones on my sable?

4. what is all involved in swapping out my evap lines to the gen 3 style are they a dirrect replacement?

will also do some research but since i am posting i figured i would ask and hope that you guys could give me definate absolute answers! thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts