Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
If you don't have a lot of cause to use it you would be better off getting it tested at a shop then spending the cash. My bad on the regulator, I looked up a 2000. When I glanced at your user panel I must have misread the 200 hp as your car being a 2000

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,763 Posts
WTH? Why do you ask for answers to your questions, or for advice when you are uninformed, if all you are going to do is argue with the people that spent their valuable time and offered their knowledge to you (no one's paid here, this is all voluntary!)?

If you don't agree with what people say, that's OK. But don't tell people you ask for help that they don't know what THEY are talking about. Geez.

·
Registered
815 Posts
WTH? Why do you ask for answers to your questions, or for advice when you are uninformed, if all you are going to do is argue with the people that spent their valuable time and offered their knowledge to you (no one's paid here, this is all voluntary!)?

If you don't agree with what people say, that's OK. But don't tell people you ask for help that they don't know what THEY are talking about. Geez.
I obviously went to school and got certified for no reason, because I obviously have no idea how to fix cars lol. :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
If you don't have a lot of cause to use it you would be better off getting it tested at a shop then spending the cash.
It goes for $60 bucks locally its not bad i am auto enthusiast i'd like to get have one on hand.
I just wonder if its 500amp spec on load tester must be same or greater than cold cranking amps of battery?

My bad on the regulator, I looked up a 2000.
You know which one i need for 2001 DOHC tho?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
this is all voluntary
Lgbpop tell me how the topic reads, does it say "I need advice on when do i need to change my battery?" Dont bother answering if you tell me something i dont not ask at the moment.

I obviously went to school and got certified for no reason, because I obviously have no idea how to fix cars lol. :p
I did not say you were wrong, i said i paid money for this battery and i dont want to replace it before i try all possible scenarios and even if its dead i can try to revive it. If it was not clear it was from my practical/financial point of view.

But indeed theory many times proven to be false on practice. Dont knwo what exactly you did not like, but i assume you was thought in school that when battery hits 1 volt battery is toast or something? I happen to witness twice that it can be charged and work for a while after that...

·
Registered
815 Posts
It was not just the 1 volt that makes me think it's a dead battery. In your alternator post you said your car may have been unregulated for months, hence the overheated, warped battery case. Granted it may have damaged only the case, it is possible internal damage may have occurred. Im just diagnosing from the info you have given. If you need to keep recharging the battery, yes it may be a massive draw when connected, it may be dead. Let me ask, how long does it take until the battery reaches low voltage? Hours? Minutes? From the info you have given multiple people have diagnosed a bad battery. Could you post a picture of the battery from different view with the damage shown? If you believe it is something else we need more info on what else is happening.

·
Registered
815 Posts
And yes I have seen batteries drop that low and be saved, but these batteries have also not suffered overheating issues from an unregulated alternator.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
Clark. Go get the battery tested at an auto parts store.

How old is the battery?

You may get lucky and be able to get a free replacement if it doesn't look too bad and isn't too old. Assuming you truly have an expensive battery and bought it new.

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
It goes for $60 bucks locally its not bad i am auto enthusiast i'd like to get have one on hand.
I just wonder if its 500amp spec on load tester must be same or greater than cold cranking amps of battery?

You know which one i need for 2001 DOHC tho?

Battery for your car should be higher but 500 represents an adequate tester.

The 01 regulator is internal. Rebuild kits are $100 from rebuilderinabox.com you might try a search of rebuilders in your area or an internet search

·
Registered
815 Posts
For a load test you run half the cold cranking amps and watch the voltage to make sure it doesn't drop below 9.6volts.

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
^+1
Exactly. Tester doesn't need to exceed CCA of battery just half of it. A 500 is more than adequate for automobile testing. Sorry if I misunderstood the question

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I am not sure if it was overcharging for months, its was a guess.

But there's still a chance maybe one of 100 but in my opinion its worth trying to charge that battery and see if it works or not.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I stayed at work for too long yesterday i will pick up tester today and report tomorrow as i got no internet at home.

Do you know part number for 01 taurus v regulator?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I have not seen it listed outside of a rebuild kit. See my previous post
Rebuilt kit is fine, which one is it?

I have used the load tester however not sure if it worked fine, in manual it said adjust to half the CCA of battery and leave for 15 seconds then it will start beeping when done. However i connected it and set to half of CCA of battery and it started beeping right away and nothing different happened in 15 seconds except it getting hot and smelling like it burns.

It showed 11volt and i am not sure how to interpret the test results take look.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts