Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I can't find this anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know the normal range for primary and secondary ignition coil resistance for a 2002 Ford Taurus SE, OHV, 12V?

I'm getting 1.3, 1.3, 0.8. And 11.8, 11.9, 11.7.

Are these ranges normal?

Thank you,

sk3k in Ottawa

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
Primary should be .5 ohms and the secondary should be 13600 ohms. Keep in mind measuring resistance under an ohm with the inherent +/- variance due to the contact resistance of the average DMM is iffy. Usually the issue with coil packs are cracks, some so small that only traces of arcing gave them away. I've had fissures so small that only misting the pack with water while running gave evidence of them

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I have had a coil throw a primary coil problem P0351 code only after months of a single stumble on a shift at 45 mph. All primary resistances were in your range so you wouldn't expect an issue. It is also effected by heating of the coil from current flow and ambient temperature.

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
Resistance tells you almost nothing as dielectric breakdown (arcing) issues will not show up with a resistance test. Resistances can check out in spec but coils can still be bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
sheila
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing