Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

Just found this site...glad you're here!

There are 2 Tauruses (Taurii?) in my family, my father's '99 SE and my sister's '96 LX.

My question concerns my dad's car...with 45,xxx on the clock, I think it's time for a transmission fluid change. I've done the search thing and I THINK I have the answers, but just wanted to check with you before I make some terrible mistake.

'99 uses Mercon V, right? How many quarts will I need for a pan-drop and filter? Also, is the gasket re-usable?

Sorry for the noob-ness of these questions, but the owner's manual has been mis-placed and this is my first experience with Ford FWD transmissions...all of my own cars have been RWD...thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to TCCA!

SixFoFalcon posted this back on Aug 17 2004... in a thread titled "Ax4n Fluid Change, What to use?" It's about 4 pages back.
For a Taurus/Sable AX4N built for the 1997 model year, MERCON is the correct fluid to use. The switch to MERCON V was made in 1998. DO NOT MIX MERCON AND MERCON V, OR SUBSTITUTE ONE FOR THE OTHER!!!
I'd get a case and when refilling, dump in enough to get it in the dipstick range, and warm it up good to top it off just right. (check what's written on the dipstick) I've seen posts that say anywhere from 5 to 7 qts to refill. I'm not sure with your G3 (or G4) that's why I say get a case. Better to have too much than not enough. Just don't over-fill -- and use a new gasket; it should come with the new filter.

By the way, where did "RF Overlord" come from?? Are you some kind of radio dude? :banana:

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
First off, go to Ebay and get yourself a manual, they're usually not that much.

Can't really help you on the gen3 stuff. I know on my gen4, somewhere it said it was a reusable gasket, I think it was the bottom of the pan or something. It was a rubber gasket so it went back in fine. I guess when you take yours off you can see if it's cork or rubber. The filter I got came with a cork gasket that I just threw away.

Oh as for fluid, 5-7 quarts is probably about right. I don't know whether yours uses Mercon V or not, but the cheapest is about $3 a quart (I draw the line at buying transmission fluid named Coastal) and you'll have 5-6 quarts sitting around for a long while. Plus after the first time you do it, you may find it so messy that you may not want to do it again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by HenrySel@Aug 25 2004, 12:38 AM
Plus after the first time you do it, you may find it so messy that you may not want to do it again.
Is there something especially tricky about doing a pan-drop on a Taurus?

I've always done the transmission servicing on my own cars, but as I said, they're all RWD and it's no big deal on them...

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, not really, it is just that Ford has no drian plug, so you have to drop the whole pan, which is messy. It is a rather easy procedure.

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?...23d801aea02.jsp

The above link may work, I don't know, but is shows the procedure. If not go to www.autozone.com>Rapair Info>Repair Guides>1999>Ford>Taurus>Gen Info & Maintenece>Fluids and Lubricants....
Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, ststephen!

I don't mind getting a little messy to save $50 or so in labor by doing it myself...just wanted to be sure there was nothing weird about it. Looks like the exact same procedure as my old Buick, my T-Bird and my Marauder, just a different shape to the pan...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Will probably be around 7 quarts of Mercon V. You can always use Mercon V where it calls for Mercon. Mercon V is a partial synthetic and has better anti-shudder properties. Gasket will probably be reusable--EPDM rubber over metal. Only problem might be that you are surprised when the "O" ring on the filter does not come off with the filter and remains in the transmission housing. Use a screwdriver and carefully pry it out, making sure you do not score the housing. You will have around 19 8mm hex-head pan bolts. Torque them to 106 in.-lbs. Consider installing a B&M drain plug, while you have the pan off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts