Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, gotta question about custom headers for a 04 vulcan se are there any before I hit my old job and make some and please don't tell me to get a duratec cause a Vulcan is a waist of time, I know a sohc can make just as much power as a dohc some with less effort with money time and patience, I parked my Honda to drive a ford and ended with this Vulcan and like it more and more since I had it from 08 if modding cost way to much I'm just gonna swap in Mazda or volkswagon motor in here any help would be great.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 Stainless Headers 1998-2005 W/O EGR | eBay

Thanks to the exhaust port design and how it bolts up, you can take the front manifold and bolt it onto the rear, so these Ebay headers for the Ranger 3.0 Vulcan can be mounted to where they are both pointed out to the passenger side, obviously a new y-pipe or entire exhaust system would have to be fabricated.

The other thing here is with the Ebay headers or even the JBA headers (Which sell for twice as much and have more reported leaks on RangerStation than the Ebay ones) is you have to disable your EGR system. The Ebay headers have no provision for EGR hookup and the JBA ones do, but when you switch them around to mount them in the Taurus, the hookup will be on the front, thus useless.

My Vulcan is currently running with a disabled EGR, I made a thread not too long ago about how to go about it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Also, the vulcan is OHV, not SOHC. And take it from me: this is an expensive motor. I don't know what your budget is like, but with aftermarket consisting of SHOSource's underdrive pulley (get it, it's awesome) and moranav6racing.com, we don't have much to go on. A lot of my stuff is custom or modified to fit from other cars. $320 for custom valves. Next time around, I'm researching valves from another manufacturer for half the price, and I'll just put a different guide in. I have no idea what application my valve springs are, but the retainer locks are from a chevy ls, which takes 8mm valves as well.

If you're going through the trouble of a swap, consider the V6 SHO motor, or a 4.6 V8 out of a Lincoln Continental.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Those headers sound and look tempting and it's funny how another model with same motor would have option parts and the other doesnt, also if I do a swap I'm gonna go all out with a hybrid type set up like a gli vr6 turbo.... Maybe get a duratec crankshaft and mate it with some forged pistons and rods, p&p the heads with custom racing valves and do a t4 turbo setup.... Mind can't decide, and thanks for your replies

·
Registered
671 Posts
Those headers sound and look tempting and it's funny how another model with same motor would have option parts and the other doesnt, also if I do a swap I'm gonna go all out with a hybrid type set up like a gli vr6 turbo.... Maybe get a duratec crankshaft and mate it with some forged pistons and rods, p&p the heads with custom racing valves and do a t4 turbo setup.... Mind can't decide, and thanks for your replies
A 'tec crankshaft will net you nothing but heartache. If you want another crank, get the V6 SHO forged one, but they'll both need machining to fit. Enjoy spending $$$.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Man... do a nice exhaust and leaving it at that, my advice is to make a catless y pioe and leave the header stock then run a big magnaflow resonator with straight pipes, i also have a 04 vulcan and its the slowest thing ive ever dricen by far! And you could drop 5,000$ in the engine and maybe make 230hp with that engine... if you have the money, time and resources swap a 3.2 gen 2 sho engine and seao a mtx.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont mind spending money and 230hp sounds better than 155, also machining is very cheap where I live, my local junk yard sells running motors for 250-375, I am a mechanic so most work done will be done by me or my dad who is a master mechanic btw helped me pull 200 hp out my stock internal Honda build, just gonna take some time and do some deep research I'm more for compression For a n/a build anyway, it can be done....

·
Registered
671 Posts
I dont mind spending money and 230hp sounds better than 155, also machining is very cheap where I live, my local junk yard sells running motors for 250-375, I am a mechanic so most work done will be done by me or my dad who is a master mechanic btw helped me pull 200 hp out my stock internal Honda build, just gonna take some time and do some deep research I'm more for compression For a n/a build anyway, it can be done....
You'll need the better shaped combustion chambers out of a flex fuel vulcan, preferably '98+ since they have beehive springs & smaller diameter valve stems (7mm vs. 8mm, lighter valves). You can fit larger valves (1.730" int. & 1.500" exh.) on non-FFV heads, I'm sure you can get them in FFV, but I can't confirm. These are the biggest valves recommended by Tom Morana. Roller rockers off a 302W will fit with slight modification. Morana has gotten our heads to 220 cfm intake and 180 cfm exhaust. If you fab custom headers, you'll be off to a decent start. Just don't expect 450 hp from this thing. PM me if you want more info.

I don't mind spending money, either. The problem is I don't have the money to spend.

Oh, and expect to launch bits of your tranny all over your engine bay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for valves I'm going to get blank ones from ferra maybe titanium and have them machined, just now thought of getting some heads and have them shaved down and have a p&p done by this guy that builds ford and chevy racing engines, as for the tranny I was gonna research manual conversion if none I will research custom made gears and there's a place in cali that makes anything, good thing I aced my auto-cad class in high school

1 - 11 of 11 Posts