Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
My son bought a '97 Gl, it has at least 178K miles. Vulcan motor. Speedometer does not work, so, replaced the VSS, no change. Cruise Control does work, as do all the dash lights. The transmission shifts fine, and there are no driveability problems/issues. Went to the boneyard and bought a cluster out of a '96, the circuit board is different, but the speedometer is the same(part # identical). Swapped out the speedometer, still no workie. Arrgh. Checked continuity on circuit board traces, it was perfect. Put original speedo back in. Worst part so far is that my son spent 40 bucks on the cluster, and they won't take it back.

Anybody have a next step? I don't have any wiring diagrams, at least not yet.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch

That gives me some good info and places to check. I believe I checked fuse 5 already, but I may have got the wrong one, as the owners' manual numbers are not listed on the fuse box, or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hey all,
My son bought a '97 Gl, it has at least 178K miles. Vulcan motor. Speedometer does not work, so, replaced the VSS, no change. Cruise Control does work, as do all the dash lights. The transmission shifts fine, and there are no driveability problems/issues. Went to the boneyard and bought a cluster out of a '96, the circuit board is different, but the speedometer is the same(part # identical). Swapped out the speedometer, still no workie. Arrgh. Checked continuity on circuit board traces, it was perfect. Put original speedo back in. Worst part so far is that my son spent 40 bucks on the cluster, and they won't take it back.

Anybody have a next step? I don't have any wiring diagrams, at least not yet.

Thanks in advance.
If you had a Live data OBD2 scanner, you could check the VSS electrically
by looking at the speed on the scanner.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
That gives me some good info and places to check. I believe I checked fuse 5 already, but I may have got the wrong one, as the owners' manual numbers are not listed on the fuse box, or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.
I think the fuse numbers are molded into the inside of the fuse box cover. If not, you'll have to take your owner's manual with and compare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It works!!

Thanks to all for your help, i checked the fuses, well, all of the 5 amp fuses anyway, and found the radio fuse was blown. This would have been obvious if the car had a radio! Speedometer works now. Seems that this is maybe fuse 5, or fuse 24? The owners manual has about 3 fuses listed for the instrument panel, the fuse box lists 2 different ones for the radio, one radio and one radio memory. Confusing to say the least. The fuse marked radio in the manual is fuse 8.

The embarassing part is that this fuse blew in my '96 Duratec Sable, which killed the speedo too! That was over a year ago and I forgot all about it.

Thanks again for the posts, I printed out the diagrams and added them to my pile of car info, although I hope I don't need them again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts