Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi TCCA,

Regarding my 2000 Taurus Duratek with 81K miles:

Over the last so many weeks I sank almost ~$2k on a new A/C drier line and that PITA mega$ "inside-the-dash" A/C evaporator case job (I added a new heater core while it was all exposed).

Btw, that "$161" drier line I was charged for is really about $62, and that "$699" evaporator case is really about $350 (a Ford OEM part with the 5 year warranty). I had a serious talk with the shop owner about charging me full retail on expensive parts and requested, and got a $150 discount off the final payment (and even that was like pulling teeth). I noticed on the invoice he only warranted the A/C case for two years (even thought he preached to me that he would only use a Ford factory part, and I was lucky to still get one). Btw, there are still plenty of these A/C cases out there I found out. Also btw, I saw that the evap core alone is only like $30, but the shop owner said the cases are impossible to get apart, and he would no do the job if I wanted the case opened and a only a new A/C evap core installed. Btw, I forgot to ask him for the old case. I wonder if it's on eBay for sale with a new core in it for $300.

At ~$2k, I figure the Taurus has to run ~8 months until I break even, given that new car payments would be ~$250/month. The car has only ~81k miles on it, and had new Michelin sneakers last year. Body and interior are still in very good condition (ie. no kids, pets or salt here).

Twenty years ago I would have scrapped this car on a $2k repair estimate. But with new ones at $25-$35, $2k didn't sound as bad these days. This A/C work was a toss up and a gamble. I'm gonna try to hold out a couple more years for an all electric ride. Then I can look forward to a $6000 battery pack in 10 years, right? Ha!

All that said, the reason for my thread here is to see what you all think about local non-Ford Company shops/garages charging full Ford retail prices for parts on used car repairs. My current (maybe not for long) shop thinks charging full retail for parts is a constitutional right.

My opinion is now that we have discount internet sales for decent quality and even OEM parts, and near-wholesale pricing available to every consumer, that cost+ pricing (ie. "cost plus" means that some price is added to the wholesale price to cover order/receiving and supplier payment is reasonable). 100% markup may have been traditional back in the day, but that business model is going to sink like a load of brick and mortar (yes, pun intended).

Your thoughts/comments?

Regards . . .

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Not sure what you mean by case but if it is the whole HVAC plastic ductwork then the labor is pretty intensive to replace that. I had a hissing sound from the HVAC ductwork on my 2006 under warranty and it was in the shop for three days to fix. Not sure why you needed a new case, what was wrong with your AC.

I would think you could get the whole system replaced for $2000. What did he charge for the recharge or price per pound for R134a?

When the system fails again he will blame the parts he didn't replace.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Obviously labor costs vary, but I had the whole system on my '03 replaced for about $1100 in 2016. There was definitely some overcharging in your case.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Automender12345 and The White Falcon,

I just made time to attach the Drier job and the Evap Case (with heater core) job invoices (unidentified). Since they had the heater core out anyway, I asked them to replace it. Notice they stuck me for $57 for a $25 heater core.

Excluding our sales tax, I paid 502.19-32.85tax = 469.34 for the drier job and 1548.60-101.31tax = $1447.29 for the evap case job.

So 469.34+1447.25=$1916.63 for the combined jobs. Keep in mind I had to beg for the $150 parts discount included on the evap case job.

Hum . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Not sure why he replaced the case and not just the evaporator core. But it seems that he recharged the system twice after AC was warm after he recharged it. Not the best parts breakdown on the second bill.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had ask him the same thing when he said the case would be $699. I said, "I checked and the evap core is only like $40." He said the case was nearly impossible to open and never would go back together again correctly. He told me to take it to someone else if I didn't get the whole new case. Was that BS just so he could do 100% markup on an expensive part?

I just asked the "how hard is it" question back in another forum. Here's that link if interested:
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/351153-how-hard-open-evaporator-case.html#post3466513

Regards . . .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI rsteve56,

I just noticed I hadn't followed up on this thread. My bad. Thanks for the heads-up on that TSB : )

Regards . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Brcobrem
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing