Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like my title says, which one's do you think perform and look better? I'm asking this cuz I just bought some disco balls, and the original bulbs don't look so cool, I mean they work, but I want something better. :mj_banana:

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
yeah 70 for the harness and 50 for the ultras... and with those discoballs you should be able to see pretty good

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
$37.99 for the Ultra's at Advance Auto, on sale until Dec 24.

About $35 in parts to build your own harness.

About $22 in parts if you rebuilt the connectors on the old one into better ones

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Can you run silverstar ultras on regular harnesses?
[/b]
Yes, but the light output isn't much better than normal bulbs, just whiter.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Can you run silverstar ultras on regular harnesses?
[/b]
Yes, but the light output isn't much better than normal bulbs, just whiter.
[/b][/quote]

And Im sure that the ultras arent any better than the regular silverstars without the harness

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The main point of the Ultras over the original SIlverstars is that the Ultras are supposed to last longer.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The main point of the Ultras over the original SIlverstars is that the Ultras are supposed to last longer.
[/b]
The ultras were designed for more output as well. AKA: "For Enhanced Night Vision" on the box :)

IMHO SilverStar Ultras and a HD harness. Yes, you can run ultras on regular harnesses (i'm doing it and no damage.) but it just looks whiter. Use HD harnesses for brighter light.

My friend told me these HD harnesses rock.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBro...ID:100000385586

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You can get Ultras for $25-30 on Ebay plus $5-$10 shipping.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well for now I'm okay with not having an hd harness. Just wanted to know ur opinion cuz I can either spend $50 for Ultra's at autozone or $20 for Nokya's.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Well for now I'm okay with not having an hd harness. Just wanted to know ur opinion cuz I can either spend $50 for Ultra's at autozone or $20 for Nokya's.
[/b]

If you want some real lights go for the Ultras :thumb: I did and I'm NEVER going back. (until I get HID Xenon Projectors. :lol2: )

·
Registered
205 Posts
[/b]
I don't know about Nokya bulbs but the name sounds like a ripoff, somebody's cheap and trying to take advantage of the well know mobile phone brand. Smells like cheap chinese s**t.

The Silverstar Ultras clearly have better light output than the stock bulbs, even with completely stock wiring. Of course the originals in our car were old and tired but the difference was significant. My wife (who has bad vision in the dark) agrees and says that actually she can see something now...

Someday pretty soon I'm going to measure the voltage loss that the stock wiring may cause.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
[/b]
I told ya $25-30 on Ebay. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I have silverstars, but I don't remember if they are ultras... is there a way to tell?

Also what does the harness do, and if they are not ultras will a harness do anything?

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the record, back when the "blue lightbulbs" craze started Nokyas were the choicest brand, brightest and longest lasting. But I'm not sure if they're even legal now (they definitely weren't back in the day, but none of them were). The silverstars are great as long as they last (some people have problems with them dying) and they're legal.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I have silverstars, but I don't remember if they are ultras... is there a way to tell?

Also what does the harness do, and if they are not ultras will a harness do anything?
[/b]
IIRC, SilverStars have Orange seals and Ultras have White seals. I could be wrong. :dunno:
I haven't seen mine since I put em in a while ago.

The HD harness removes a lot of the resistance that the existing harness has. It allows for the bulb in some cases be brighter and whiter. It Helps just about any bulb but is more noticeable on whiter brighter bulbs IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I don't know about Nokya bulbs but the name sounds like a ripoff, somebody's cheap and trying to take advantage of the well know mobile phone brand. Smells like cheap chinese s**t.

[/b]
My buddy and I got a set of Nokya bulbs for our cars last winter and they SUCKED, on both of our cars. (04 RSX-S and 05 Taurus). I knew they would not be the greatest but didn't know they'd suck that bad.

Definately go with the ultras.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts