Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flushed the coolant a few months ago to deal with a low coolant light. The existing coolant didn't look bad, but I replaced anyway. Light keeps coming back on even though my level is good(at the reservoir).

Temp gauge doesn't suggest any overheating.

There is also a sound that seems to getting worse, which I think I have isolated to the water pump. I will tell you that all the neighbors were impressed when I pulled out my kid's fisher price Dr's Kit stethescope.

It sounds like bearing noise and is audible at idle and when driving.

What do you think? Do I wait for for failure, or is it time for a trip to the parts store? Is the bull trying to give me a hint with this low coolent light?

I'm OK with it failing and the pump just freespinning. If the failure results in the pump seizing throwing the serpentine..well that could be ugly.

140k miles, '99 duratec

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you have an original black topped coolant tank then it probably should be replace with the newer clear topped ones. This is the only way to fix the coolant light being on when it shouldn't. You can for now disconnect the sensor from the bottom of the tank. This will turn off the light and also give you a chance to inspect the bottom for cracks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, great info. I could just see myself goose chasing that light for weeks..trying to pull codes, topping off the reservoir, etc.

Any thoughts on the water pump racket? My plan is to wait until failure unless anyone thinks thats a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If your waterpump is making a racket, it has already failed.

Changing it will cost less than $100, and takes less than an hour.

Leaving it in the car till it seizes, and breaks the serpentine belt will leave you stranded somewhere are the most inopportune time, and cost you a towing bill.

Why do that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it sounds like I've got my answer. I always thought that if I'm not overheating, then it must be working.

I'm sure there are plenty of posts and possibly a writeup that covers belt removal and pump replacement, so I'll get to searching for those immediately!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
If your waterpump is making a racket, it has already failed.

Changing it will cost less than $100, and takes less than an hour.

Leaving it in the car till it seizes, and breaks the serpentine belt will leave you stranded somewhere are the most inopportune time, and cost you a towing bill.

Why do that?
[/b]

Haha that is sooooo true. Happened to me. The problem with mine was quite obvious. The easiest way to tell if its going bad is to have the motor running and look at the water pump pulley. If its wiggling, get it to a shop fast. Mine left me stranded and leaked all my coolant out so I couldnt drive it. Used my dads yukon to tow it. Oh and it went out at like 145K for me on my 'tec.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
My pump was making a fluttering noise and ended up being the cause of the overhanging belt issue. The pump pulley was hard to turn.

I suggest getting the pump from the dealer as it will be the whole pump already assembled. The cheaper pumps tend to be only the front housing with pulley, shaft, and impeller. You have to take your old pump apart and put the rear housing on the new part. tried to take mine apart to take a look inside, and I couldn't even get the bolts to move with a standard allen wrench.. you will need a but and ratchet handle to get more torque if you plan to reuse the rear housing. I think the fully assembled pump is worth it.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=555521

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's done.

Price was like $90 something from the dealership. As Paragon mentioned, this is the self contained unit..no need to fight those hexes for bracket removal.

I don't really have anything technical to add that has not been said. I did try and shortcut a little and didn't remove the resevior or the wheel. I think that cost me some time and some blood on the block. Did pull the wheel and splash guard to install the new one.

I will say that I was concerned when I removed it. It seemed to spin OK(but with a little groan to it). I was afraid that I had replaced the wrong accessory. When we cranked it up, the noise was gone so we were successful.

I gues the moral of the story is: The water pump can fail several different ways. From obvious symptoms like ParagonXL's overhanging belt, to Swanny's pump movement. Mine was just making racket. Not sure if it would have lasted another hour or another year, but I replaced to be safe.

Thanks yet again folks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (columbiawifi @ Dec 20 2007, 10:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=573349
It's done.

Price was like $90 something from the dealership. As Paragon mentioned, this is the self contained unit..no need to fight those hexes for bracket removal.

I don't really have anything technical to add that has not been said. I did try and shortcut a little and didn't remove the resevior or the wheel. I think that cost me some time and some blood on the block. Did pull the wheel and splash guard to install the new one.

I will say that I was concerned when I removed it. It seemed to spin OK(but with a little groan to it). I was afraid that I had replaced the wrong accessory. When we cranked it up, the noise was gone so we were successful.

I gues the moral of the story is: The water pump can fail several different ways. From obvious symptoms like ParagonXL's overhanging belt, to Swanny's pump movement. Mine was just making racket. Not sure if it would have lasted another hour or another year, but I replaced to be safe.

Thanks yet again folks.[/b]
I know this post is a couple years old, but I thought I would add my experience. I have a 2002 flex duratec. When cold and in cooler weather, there is a bearing racket that using a pipe as an earpiece it sure sounds like the water pump bearing. No leakage.. no belt movement. Car has 140K mostly highway. I have been holding off changing as the timing chain cover under it has been leaking slightly for quite some time and was going to do it all at once. Have been keeping that leakage to a minimum with stop leak. Will be posting on that one separately. I will post back here on water pump results. It may be a few weeks til I get to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts