Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Taurus SE. Whenever I make a turn, I hear a high-pitched whining sound like metal is just barely rubbing on metal. It comes from the front end and is louder the tighter of a turn I make. Speed does not seem to affect the volume. The CV boots are fine. Any ideas what the noise is from?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Even I heard that a couple of times.. at slow parking lot turns when it was very cold...

Never heard it af again in like a yr now. its a mystery:)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Could it be that your power steering belt is old and is slipping? That might make a sound, although it would probably be pretty loud.

JR

·
Registered
109 Posts
I doubt this applies based on what you said but it's easy enough.... so maybe check this out:

My Sable and others here too, did a rubbing noise when we turned the wheel especially when first starting and especially in cold weather. Someone here said to check INSIDE the car at the firewall where the steering column goes through that rubber sheath. I started mine, and while outside the car got down by the brake pedals and listened inside by the firwall while I turned the wheel. Sure'nuff, that's where the groan came from. Put some oil on the rubber boot where it touches the steering column... noise gone. Try it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by c_hayhurst@Jul 26 2004, 08:30 PM
I have a '99 Taurus SE. Whenever I make a turn, I hear a high-pitched whining sound like metal is just barely rubbing on metal. It comes from the front end and is louder the tighter of a turn I make. Speed does not seem to affect the volume. The CV boots are fine. Any ideas what the noise is from?
What kind of shape are your brake pads in?

Can you tell from which side it is comming from?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My 98 is making a somewhat deep sounding noise when I turn the wheel. I only hear the noise when I'm going slow (0-15ish mph) Dosen't sound like a belt slipping. Maybe some sort of bushing or bearing that might need greasing or replacing.
If you read this Bob, I'll have you in it at the meet so you can hear it and maybe give me an educated guess or something.

·
Registered
156 Posts
CV joints.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Sep 19 2004, 04:57 PM
CV joints.
That's not what I wanted to hear.

But if that's what it is, than that's what it is :(

Good thing it's coming off the road soon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mine was outer tie-rod ends causing the brake rotor shield to vibrate and make noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts