Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 150k mile 2000 taurus has squaling noise when I turing the driving wheel. Even car is in idel, the noise is coming when I turn the driving wheel.

I opened the hood, it seems that the squaling noise is from somewhere around belt.

No noise, if the driving wheel is not turing.

I do not know if this is a symptom of dying power steering pump?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 150k mile 2000 taurus has squaling noise when I turing the driving wheel. Even car is in idel, the noise is coming when I turn the driving wheel.

I opened the hood, it seems that the squaling noise is from somewhere around belt.

No noise, if the driving wheel is not turing.

I do not know if this is a symptom of dying power steering pump?
Your pump could be going out. Flush the system out and add transmission fluid.

I flush the system by removing the hose on the bottom of the res. Just start the car and add some until it is completely clean. Then leave cap off and turn the wheel back and fourth to ensure all air is out of the system.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your pump could be going out. Flush the system out and add transmission fluid.

I flush the system by removing the hose on the bottom of the res. Just start the car and add some until it is completely clean. Then leave cap off and turn the wheel back and fourth to ensure all air is out of the system.
Thank you for your reply.

I changed transmission oil about 1 year ago.

You mean that the flush, not changing pump, may solve the problem? Do you know the average life span of the pump?, I never changed it before, do you think that it is time to change it any way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The power steering pump dey used to put in back in the day is generally loud for no reason! I learn dat from my auto tech teacher, I have a 97 taurus n i experience the same thing. I know it gets very annoying after a while.

·
Registered
65 Posts

You mean that the flush, not changing pump, may solve the problem? Do you know the average life span of the pump?, I never changed it before, do you think that it is time to change it any way.
I meant add transmission fluid to the PS system. The pump should honestly last the life of the car. My car has 260k miles on it and the pump is fine. The reason the pump may be noisy is because it has universal power steering fluid in it which is too thin for the pump.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I would flush the power steering system out. You will need someone to help you with this.

Remove the hose that connects to the top of the reservoir. Fluid will leak from the bottom of the reservoir. Once that is done leaking, take that hose and funnel it to a pan or container. Turn the engine on and the fluid will blast out of the hose. MAKE SURE TO NOT LET PUMP GO COMPLETELY DRY. Continue to add transmission fluid until the fluid is a nice red color. After that stop the car and reconnect the hose to the bottom of the reservoir. Add some fluid until it is about full and start the car again. This time leave the power steering fluid cap off and turn the wheel back and fourth until all air is out. Continue to add fluid until it at the recommended level. You will need 2 quarts to do this properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts