Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise (clunk) in the rear of my Taurus Wagon (268000 mi). I have taken it to different shops and each one seems to have read the tattoo on my forehead which says $1000.00. One said it is the shocks, one said it is the anti-sway linkages, one said it is the upper control arm bushings. I have chumped off twice now had the shocks replaced AND the anti-sway inks replaced. Each of those has caused some improvement. Now I still have a CLUNK occasionally, usually when I first drive the car after it has been sitting a while. The clunk usually needs a pretty good pot hole or dip in the road to occur. If it is the control arms, can they be re-bushed, or is it just as cheap to buy the arm. They are getting difficult to find -- due to the car being 19 years old. Repair shops have told me they are over $200 each. plus the labor. Hence $1000.00 - had to add up somehow. I found some at Rock Auto for around $75.00 but I would have to install them myself. I'm 77 and not looking forward to climbing under the car for this kind of thing. Any help would be appreciated. I thought of buying them and taking them to my shop, but I figure that no matter what, they would be the wrong ones and I would need to buy the control arms from them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
20 yrs old, almost 300K, virtually no resale value - just keep the oil clean, drive it 'till the wheels fall off and walk away happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy for you to say. Have you tried to purchase a Station Wagon recently? SUVs are much higher off the ground, which means I need to lift the machines I work on further and lean over further to get them in. I have had the engine rebuilt, I figure eventually the transmission will fail, but until then, the car has no real body problems and the suspension, except for this clunk, has been maintained. Yes, it has $0 resale value, but I am figuring my cost per mile EVEN if I spend the $1000 to get the repairs, is somewhat less than purchasing a $40,000 automobile and driving it. Albeit I probably would get better mileage on the newer vehicle. I only get about 20 to 22 MPG on this one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Easy for you to say. Have you tried to purchase a Station Wagon recently? SUVs are much higher off the ground, which means I need to lift the machines I work on further and lean over further to get them in. I have had the engine rebuilt, I figure eventually the transmission will fail, but until then, the car has no real body problems and the suspension, except for this clunk, has been maintained. Yes, it has $0 resale value, but I am figuring my cost per mile EVEN if I spend the $1000 to get the repairs, is somewhat less than purchasing a $40,000 automobile and driving it. Albeit I probably would get better mileage on the newer vehicle. I only get about 20 to 22 MPG on this one.
Good for you, take care of that old girl and keep 'er going.
I have a 99 wagon with only 80K on the clock, super clean, wife's grocery getter. Also gets 20~22mpg. Invested the 30K I saved by not buying a new car and paid for the wagon many times over.
Out of curiosity, a few months ago I checked on Craig's List to see what the wagons might be worth and the first ad I saw read: "Makes a good camper." So perhaps the resale values will be inching up....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts