Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a howling sound that seems to be coming from the passengers front. It usually starts at around 30mph and will sometimes come and go. When I brake it sometimes seems worse. If I go right or left, it does not seem to make a difference, at least not yet.

The car has 63K on it. So does this sound like wheel bearings? What else could it be? thanks :(

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Could be wheel bearings, but the sound usually changes as you swerve left and right. If the tire is bad, that can create a noise that doesn't change much with directional changes. Do you get a vibration too? If so, that's more of an indication of a bad tire. Take a close look at the tread, and see if you have some bad wear, which can make noise. If the tread looks ok, jack the front end up and turn the wheels and look for lumps in the tread indicating a shifted or broken belt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be wheel bearings, but the sound usually changes as you swerve left and right. If the tire is bad, that can create a noise that doesn't change much with directional changes. Do you get a vibration too? If so, that's more of an indication of a bad tire. Take a close look at the tread, and see if you have some bad wear, which can make noise. If the tread looks ok, jack the front end up and turn the wheels and look for lumps in the tread indicating a shifted or broken belt.
[/b]
Thanks for the suggestion. Tire is almost new and looked good. I will try and mount it in the rear to see if the sound moves to the back. No vibrations yet. Glad I can pick the brains of others here.

thanks again :lol2:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Thanks for the suggestion. Tire is almost new and looked good. I will try and mount it in the rear to see if the sound moves to the back. No vibrations yet. Glad I can pick the brains of others here.

thanks again :lol2:
[/b][/quote]
That would have been my next suggestion - swap that tire to the rear, or just to the other side on the front, and see if the noise moves with it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
just out of curiosity is the sound inside or outside? i have a recurring problem with a sound on the inside on the passenger side, BUT i have found it to be the seat belt buckle. if it is not sitting flush on the side of the seat then it will hit the trim and make a slight noise. it was annoying me until i found the problem now i just reach over and "fix" it. anyway just something to look at, it might be that simple lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just out of curiosity is the sound inside or outside? i have a recurring problem with a sound on the inside on the passenger side, BUT i have found it to be the seat belt buckle. if it is not sitting flush on the side of the seat then it will hit the trim and make a slight noise. it was annoying me until i found the problem now i just reach over and "fix" it. anyway just something to look at, it might be that simple lol
[/b]
Yeah, unfortunatly it is coming from outside. I have replaced the bearing, but will not be able to test it until I get a new axle nut as
mine has messed up threads :angryfire:

Thanks for the suggestion though ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts