Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After removing the column to fix the ignition actuator I notice the wheel does not lock now. I do not know what makes the wheel lock. Any ideas would be appreciated. Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
QUOTE (redidbull @ May 23 2009, 04:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727475
After removing the column to fix the ignition actuator I notice the wheel does not lock now. I do not know what makes the wheel lock. Any ideas would be appreciated. Jim[/b]
Bringing this back up. I still have no wheel lock and don't want it to lock up on the road because I did something wrong. Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
on the 2003+ tauruses, ford decontened the steering column lock that prohibits you from turning the steering wheel without the keys in the ignition.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
What a strange thing to decontent. But then again, that explains why I can put force on the wheel w/o feeling it click into place.

Chances are it won't suddenly lock up while you're driving. Google says it's expensive and labor intensive to fix and I couldn't find anything on how it works. I'm pretty sure it's mechanical though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
a while back, i added the steering column lock back to a 2003 taurus steering column using a couple parts from a spare mustang steering column that i had around. Not sure if the project was really worth the effort though.

p.s. here's a broadcast message from ford's oasis network about the steering column lock in the crown vic:

2262 - 2003-NEWER CROWN VICTORIA/GRAND MARQUIS/TOWN CAR - STEERING WHEEL LOCK NOT INSTALLED ON VEHICLES WITH PATS - SERVICE TIP
ALL 2003 AND NEWER CROWN VICTORIA, GRAND MARQUIS AND LINCOLN TOWN CAR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM (PATS) DO NOT COME WITH A STEERING WHEEL LOCK. THE CROWN VICTORIA POLICE INTERCEPTOR AND THE CROWN VICTORIA COMMERCIAL HEAVY DUTY, LONG WHEELBASE ARE THE ONLY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A STEERING WHEEL LOCK, SINCE THEY ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH PATS. NOTE: VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH PATS WILL HAVE A FLASHING WARNING INDICATOR ON THE TOP LEFT SIDE OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL.

QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 4 2009, 01:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730071
What a strange thing to decontent. But then again, that explains why I can put force on the wheel w/o feeling it click into place.

Chances are it won't suddenly lock up while you're driving. Google says it's expensive and labor intensive to fix and I couldn't find anything on how it works. I'm pretty sure it's mechanical though.[/b]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts