Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 lx wagon. It was given to me and the engine knocked. I went in from the oil pan and installed some oversize bearings and replaced ine of the head gaskets and other associated gaskets(intake and what not) . I also replaced spark plugs. I put it back together and when I turn the ignition it just clicks. Prior to doing the work it started right up . And other than the knock seemed to run fine . First I took a battery out of a car that ran fine and put it in the taurus. Same click. I then tried hooking up jumper cables . No good. I took the starter back to autozone and had it tested. It was good so I took it home. Wire brushed all my cables and connectors, mount bolts etc. And reassembled. I checked alternator connections and located the ground strap on the fire wall disconnected it and cleaned it up and remounted it. Still just clicks when I turned the key. I also jumped the starter with a screw driver. Sounds like the bendixen throws but no crank. I hooked up cables again. Let it sit and tried jumping the starter manually again. Same results.
Any ideas on why a car that started every time prior to now would suddenly fail to crank?

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
As Mike (chartmaker) suggested try manually rotating the engine to see if it turns without extreme effort.

When you put in the oversized bearings did you measure the bearing clearance with a high quality (i.e., known accuracy) micrometer or vernier caliper to be sure clearance was in spec or at least use plastigauge to check bearing clearance? Did you use assembly lube on the new bearings? If you didnt use assembly lube did you pull the distributor and use an electric drill with a hex drive to spin the oil pump to build oil pressure and get oil to the new bearings?

Reactions: Jiyu Shugi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried turning the crank a few degrees manually? I had one and it had a bad spot in the flex plate gear. Replaced the TQ and flex plate.
-chart-
I haven't tried that yet. As I lay in bed last night that was my thought as well...not the correlating flex plate information...my thought was more like..maybe motor stuck..Ug turn wheel thingy see if move.
Thank you for the insight. By TQ you mean torque converter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Mike (chartmaker) suggested try manually rotating the engine to see if it turns without extreme effort.

When you put in the oversized bearings did you measure the bearing clearance with a high quality (i.e., known accuracy) micrometer or vernier caliper to be sure clearance was in spec or at least use plastigauge to check bearing clearance? Did you use assembly lube on the new bearings? If you didnt use assembly lube did you pull the distributor and use an electric drill with a hex drive to spin the oil pump to build oil pressure and get oil to the new bearings?
No I didnt do all that. I tried to bolt on standard bearings and they were still sloppy on the crank so I went bigger. I'm in a parking lot with a handful of cheap tools . I know its risky with the bearings. The manual oil pump idea is great . Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just tried to turn the crank manually . Pulled passenger tire and put a ratchet on pulley nut with a 19mm open end wrench cheat and it doesn't want to move....ideas

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Bearing come in "undersize" usually -0.002" smaller than standard. Fairly uncommon to have enough wear to need undersize. I have used a trick for slight wear. New under on one side, and standard on the opposite half. Equal to ~0.001".Example, top half in mains usually do not wear at all unless something really bad has happened. Leave the standard top and use -0.002 on the bottom. On rods it is the opposite. Top wears, bottom does not. Plasticgage is critical for clearance check. ON some older cars, they come from the factory with undersized crank and bearings.
-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I pulled plugs and put in neutral . Put a 3/ adjustable breaker bar( torque wrench) on pulley and couldn't get it to turn..think it's a wash for me unless anyone knows a trick for freeing up a motor. Just seems strange that it would be seized up. It ran when I put it on jack stands. Too weird

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I did some reading and think I'll try pb blaster in the spark plug holes to try and free the pistons up before I throw in the towel on this one. Thanks for all the in put Chart maker n others. I'll update in a few days.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
If it ran before the new bearings and is locked up now, the issue is the bearings being too tight, not the rings rusted to the cyl walls.

Reactions: kekaye56
1 - 13 of 13 Posts