Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've got 93 Taurus LX 3.0 gas. Car suddenly quit on road six miles after filling gas tank. Inertia switch not tripped, replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, battery ( needed one anyway ), distributor cap & rotor. Tested spark with plug on engine block; some intermittent spark. Where do I go next? Thanks, Bob.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
What exactly lead you to spend the time and $$ to replace the fuel pump without doing some simple troubleshooting and running a complete code check first??

TFI and/or PIP are common issues on all EEC IV Fords. Run codes and look especially for any CM IDM codes or intermittent PIP codes. TFI and PIP should both be replaced if either one is bad, and use ONLY Motorcraft replacement parts. ALL aftermarket TFI and PIP are JUNK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In the first 10 years of this engine the spark module (mentioned above) was rather notorious for leaving people stranded. This is the thing that is bolted to the distributor and needs a special little stubby tool to get the screws loose. Not very expensive. More recently I seem to never hear about the module needing replacement. I am still on the original module at 26 years later and 170,000 miles on my 1993 3.0 LX.

One fault I did have was the fuel pump control relay module which is a box that mounts on the radiator saddle. This produces an EEC IV code about no fuel pressure or something like that (Can't remember.) BUT...generally if that is the issue the car will start normally when cold. I figured out that the solder joints on the circuit board where the relay mounts, crack with heat and age. Reflowing them solves the problem and I am not sure that module is available anymore from Ford. As others are alarmed about, I would stop throwing expensive parts at this and zero in on the actual cause.
Finally, sounds stupid but this happened to me once in a lot less than 6 miles from the gas station. Went dead. Spark and fuel pressure good, no timing chain issues. Reason? I had just bought a tank of ground water. Old underground tank at the station was rotten. Thought they had filters in the pumps? Yeah, so did I.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
KillrRABBIT
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing