Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12,147 Posts
Bulls have a weak grounding system. Pic of my first issue of several, this was causing bad idle speed. I sanded the surface, then used anti-corrosion compound on the steel and threads, and all was good. I was chasing idle position not steady and spend too much time tracing why the signal return did not match the body volts. Since all mine have this cleaned and treated as a routine one time fix.
Also add a ground cable to fender secondary ground, eyelet under the clamp bolt and to the mid fender ground bolt. And cleanup the OE cable to fender surface.
All 3 of my G-4's have this done.
-chart-

Attachments

· Registered
12,147 Posts
Printed Schematics, location drawings, and connector pin outs, from service manual, related to Fuel Pump system. Studying to determine how to empty the remaining quarter tank of 2 yr old fuel, by running pump and pump the fuel out of the car, into a gas can.

Haynes manual suggests the PCM provides ground to Fuel Pump Relay in fuse box beside battery to run the pump.
Says: PCM runs pump, when PCM sees electrical pulses from the Cam Synch. ie. when the engine is running / turning.
Will try that.

But study of schematics also shows a Fuel Pump / System Module near the back of the car, through which power and ground are provided to the fuel pump, and also with control signals / wires going back to the PCM.

Also shown is an Inertial Shut off switch with manual Reset button. ( shuts off fuel pump if it senses a collision / impact ).

Looking also for convenient spot / or Connector, if necessary, near the pump, to hot wire power to the pump directly.
Looking under car, I have found a connector on the front right corner of the tank, accessible underneath, and looks like the wires are the correct colours, per the schematics, to disconnect, gain access, and hot wire / provide power directly to run the pump.

A hose in the engine bay, from the fuel supply, fuel rail connection, would go then, to a gas can. Run pump remotely. Empty tank. ... In theory .

Investigating.
I removed the fuel filter outlet connection, Then put a hose over the outlet nipple of the filter and other end of the hose into a fuel tank I use for the lawn mowers.
Hot wired at the inertia switch. Used a lawn mower battery as a source.
-chart-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts