Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a problem with my 1998 sable. V-6. 138000 Miles. A month or so ago I went out after work on a Saturday to start the car and it would turn over but wouldn't start. I left it there till Monday morning, came in and it started right up.
A few times it would die when I would stop then once it died at a stop sign and took almost an hour for it to start again. Now this morning I went out to start it and no joy. It just turned over. The service engine light has been on for a few weeks and I took it to Autozone and they scanned it. It came up with a PO171 code.

I was told this code means the O2 sensor is going bad but I have also seen that it could mean a vacuum leak. All the searching never mentioned anything about the car not wanting to start like mine.

Anyone have this same problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It's unusual that a vacuum leak will stop the car from starting cold. I would check fuel pressure, and check the bank 2 intake for leaks around the sealing gaskets.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Po171- lean bank 1 = vac. leak on the firewall bank, not a failing o2 sensor. Possibly soon to be followed with po174- lean bank 2 = vac. leak on the radiator bank. For your no start condition, i would have alternator and battery checked for free at a local auto parts store.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
It's unusual that a vacuum leak will stop the car from starting cold. I would check fuel pressure, and check the bank 2 intake for leaks around the sealing gaskets.

+1 Check fuel pressure when it wont start.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I understand correctly, it spins over when attempting to start but just doesn't fire? The way you describe the intermittent non-start and the mileage on the car makes me think to also consider the fuel pump. That's not to say that you don't also have a vacuum and O2 sensor problem but it doesn't sound like those would cause the starting problems you have.

I had kind of a similar problem and when the engine was running the fuel pressure was good but when it wouldn't start I could not hear the electric pump humm to life and when I pressed in the shrader valve on the fuel rail there was no pressure. The inertia switch, relay, and regulator were all good so I replaced the pump and have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it spins nice and strong. Is a fuel pressure test something that can only be done at a garage?

Sorry don't know that engine type. I'm at work and it's at home....

I'll look for leaks tonight when I get home.

Thanks all, i just hope it turns out to be something not to expensive and fairly easy to fix

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't remember if I ever heard the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key. I'll check it tonight. Will the pump be under the hood or toward the tank? I have looked it up and there were a few different answers. Thanks all....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes it spins nice and strong. Is a fuel pressure test something that can only be done at a garage?

Sorry don't know that engine type. I'm at work and it's at home....

I'll look for leaks tonight when I get home.

Thanks all, i just hope it turns out to be something not to expensive and fairly easy to fix
You'll need an EFI pressure gauge, Actron brand is perfectly fine for around $30-$40. Needs to read at least 60 PSI+. Good tool to have if you're going to keep cars for 10+ years.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Sorry, i suggested testing the charging system after reading it had died a few times while running (alt. came to mind). Fuel pump is in the tank. If you turn the key to the on position, you should be able to hear it hum (prime) for a few seconds. Easier if you have another person at the fuel filler door opened and cap removed. Good luck.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
If pump comes on and its not an intermittent problem, you might be lucky and have a severely clogged fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator issue.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
If it turns out not to be fuel related, another remote possibility could be a failing crankshaft position sensor (ckp).

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Have someone listen to the fuel tank while you turn the key to standby. If they don't hear anything, have the person kick the tank while you have the key in standby, that might bring it back to life temporally if it's dead. Check for spark and fuel pressure before trying other stuff!

I would suggest my way of checking for pressure, but I don't want to get the forum sued for blinding a member :p

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
The old key or small screwdriver in the fuel test port schrader valve, eh, lol. For safety sake, if you do this, do it on a cold engine with a shop rag or safety glasses for eyes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK. I went home last night and tried it. No start. I did hear the fuel pump kick on when i turned the key. I am going to try replacing the fuel filter just as a place to start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a hold of a MAC deluxe automotive test kit. I am thinking this is what I can use to test the fuel pressure? It doesn't exactly say anything in the instructions. It has a manual pump. Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I got a hold of a MAC deluxe automotive test kit. I am thinking this is what I can use to test the fuel pressure? It doesn't exactly say anything in the instructions. It has a manual pump. Thanks everyone for your input.
That description is a little vague, I'm not too sure what it is. Just to recap, we've checked for spark, correct? if not, check it. Also, make sure the ignition fuse is good (number 10). I'm thinking if it stalled out and worked several hours later, it might due to an ignition issue. Was it damp out at all when you had stalling and no start issues before this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found out the tool I found wont work. No, no dampness whenever it stopped. I'll also check the fuse tonight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts